Every drum clinic ever

Sam

Every drum clinic ever

Postby Sam » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Cymbalfeltfetishist

Re: Every drum clinic ever

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:34 am

That was pretty good.

I don't mind that clinics are "chopsy-orientated". If you are going to perform in front of drummers, why not throw is some zesty stuff? It is part of the whole thing...it may be a small part, but let's face it, drummers that have been playing a long time like and appreciate chops.

What about the kids that are impressionable? Yeah, a lot of kids think that chops are all that there is to drumming. I would like to think there is hope for them. I was young and had to learn this - and DID learn this. Why? Because I cared and wanted to get better - and I mean on the bandstand. The older guys on stage turned around and looked at me like I was an asshole when i did something in poor taste. Or worse yet, they would turn around and yell at me. It gets you humble pretty fast.

No matter what happens, the same thing is going to happen even now....and then the kids will learn. You will not be on the bandstand long if you want to do all the chopsy stuff. Depending on how smart you are, you either learn the easy way - or the hard way.

I guess some of the clinics could lead by example. If you are going to preach groove, you should play groove. For me, I think I can play a groove pretty ok, so bring on the hot chops! Do some stuff I'll never use or even dream about playing! :)
AllenS

Re: Every drum clinic ever

Postby AllenS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 am

lol...

:|

Return to “Drumming Chat”