Perfect metronomic time

Paul Marangoni

Re: Perfect metronomic time

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Also look at the consistency of volume/amplitude. If you're playing a tune with a regular backbeat, it should be consistent both horizontally and vertically (snare & bass drum).
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 pm

I shot some stuff last weekend.. it's interesting. All songs were played to a click,, some more steady than others. I hadn't recorded since I started using my click setup for live.. Overall it's pretty good, I don't think playing to a click live can make you perfect, but if you can play to a click and make it feel good, if you do go out of time you won't go far haha..

This one before using the click could be messy, still is a bit,.. but it's better..

This one for sure I'd rush or drag without a click,..

We don't play this one that often, first time with a click,, One thing to remember is b aware if the song drops 8th notes, like it did at the end haha Playing to the upbeats all of a sudden can freak you out...

Here's my click apparatus....

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:31 am

In this video Dennis is using something that's called the Groove Guide. I believe it's been discontinued as of now, but there's another similar thing called Tempo Ref. I think it basically works the same way as the tempo measuring phone apps.

chris perra

Postby chris perra » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm

With those snare trigger tempo things I guess there's no readout after like info on a whole song?. I guess an app could,.. I've never checked them out.

But still which of the numbers is correct? I guess getting them as close together as possible is the goal.

Does any one know of a simpler way of checking without having a multi track recorder playing a click and recording you to be really sure.

Can those tempo readouts also generate a click? That would be cool.. click to play to and a number readout of how close you are would be good enough.. 2 sets of numbers mightbe easier to program ect vs wave files...
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:23 pm

sound and felt great chris! didn't listen to all, but great right hand on the sublime tune and groove felt great on the tool track!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 pm

chris perra wrote:Can those tempo readouts also generate a click? That would be cool

http://www.luglock.com/temporef.htm

SONG STARTS, TEMPOMETER and METRONOME All-In-One

Maybe is worth checking, I don't know. What's interesting is that all those devices are completely off the radar, ignored by the big player manufacturers.

BTW, Sabotage and The Pot put a big smile on my face :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”