The WHY?!? snare thread.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: The WHY?!? snare thread.

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:27 am

Reality is I mostly play the Gretsch Vinnie sig + hammered brass. Then I bring the BB for orchestral stuff.

The hammered brass is growing on me, but I think I need to do some snare wire experimentation.

Seems I can forget about ever getting that Brady. Would mostly be just to have some more heavy back beat options, which when it comes down to it, isn't that important. If I just want a 14x5 jarrah ply at some point, there should be enough of them out there that they should pop up on evilbay no and again.

I really mostly just want a 12". I sort of trust my ears to vids and less prcessed recordings and have always been happy with choices made that way. That type of frequency that cuts through is in any case what I'm looking for. Isolated tones are not really that important. It's about context.

I'm wondering what Vinnie used as an aux on the Jeff at Ronnie Scott's shows, because that seems to be what I would generally like. The Craviotto that seems to be the current favourite is less appealing.

Nothing against Craviotto. I've only ever played one, a standard 14x5 maple one I believe, on a lesson and it was great.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 am

I've not bought gear for a long time but find myself buying some now.

After buying a 10 ply Gretsch maple snare a few days ago, (I was a bit 'meh' about it after gigging it this weekend but really like it now)

I ended up with an even sweeter drum today. It's 3 ply maple/poplar/maple, really responsive and resonant. The snare strainer is silky smooth to engage and disengage.

So I now own 4 snare drums. Gretsch maple silver series, Mapex delux maple 12 x 5 bought new late 1990s, Yamaha brass piccolo SD493 aka Weckl, and this new Sakae.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Looks like you're pretty much covered there. I've been updating gear, but mostly building working on the practicing kit, extra pedals... Figure there's no better place to invest, really.

I did however get this thing.

I do already have a modern one, but I'm very curious about the hammering. These don't really show up and I expect this one to be a bit warmer like the hammered bronze Ludwig Buddy used in his later years, the new machine hammered ones aren't really the same. Offcourse Vincent uses his all the time in the studio, almost every vid I've seen, so it must have some mojo. :twisted:
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Left to right...

Yamaha Steve Gadd Birch - 5 X 13 (2001)

Rogers Powertone COB - 5 X 14 (1967)

Keller Home Build Maple - 5.5 X 14 (2009)

Premier 2009 "Project One" Maple - 6 x 14 (1986)

Ludwig Supraphonic LM402 - 6.5 X 14 (2016)

Ludwig Black Magic NOB - 6.5 X 14 (2010)

Drum Workshop Brass - 4 x 15 (1990)

I'm sort of a gear head. Love snares. These are my favorites and I can cover quite a bit of "tone territory" with them.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 am

And today I got this.

No explanation needed I suppose.

I switched my priorites.

Living expenses are way down.

I'm snatching up these few snares I've been wanting. Ordered another hi-hat stand. L80s set and Aquarian Super-Pads for full practice kit and the rest now is just going into a savings account, a little bit every month, and when I'm confortable in not needeing it for anything else, Gretsch kit will be bought.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:04 am

Very nice. Is that a radio king?

I see you have a Joel Rothman book. He lives about 3 miles from me. I visit his house every now and then and buy books from him for my students, mostly 'Reading, Rudiments and Rock Drumming' or the three 'R's book as he calls it. I was taught reading (not by him) from his 'Teaching Rhythm' book years ago, the one with yellow patterned cover.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:Very nice. Is that a radio king?

I see you have a Joel Rothman book. He lives about 3 miles from me. I visit his house every now and then and buy books from him for my students, mostly 'Reading, Rudiments and Rock Drumming' or the three 'R's book as he calls it. I was taught reading (not by him) from his 'Teaching Rhythm' book years ago, the one with yellow patterned cover.

That's indeed a Radio King. Old badge and old throw-off so I'm hoping it's a good one. It was a good price. It's not here yet and I have to send it by a friend in New Jersey. Should be here in 2-3 weeks I reckon.

I only have that one book of Joel's. Got it just this Thursday. Supposed to be a collection of all his jazz books. Thought I'd make it my main home study book for a while. It's quite thick. Read an interview with him not too long ago. Guess he competes with Sam Ulano in regard to most books written.

I had a few pages that I got from a teacher many years ago and wondered what book it was from. I asked in a post on drummerworld.com and Todd Bishop(the cruiseship drummer) recommended it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:39 am

Offcourse, the point of this thread was not a GAS realted sort of thing. The intention was to get into real justification and conscious choice.

So personally, I've sort of arrived. Not really having disposable income anymore and not being a collector I've sort of ended up with this.

Kit drums:
Wood: Gretsch Colaiuta SIg
Metal. Gretsch older hammered brass
The different one: Longo Walnut

Orhestral drum:
Ludwig 5x14 BB.

I understand offcourse that this is a general favourite of many and I could set the drum up differently than I do. It's just a very articulate sensitive drum. For a certain thing like I did in church a while back, using only brush in a modern way on slow spacious songs it's great, but not really what I want on the kit most of the time. A bit too bright. Fabulous with the orchestra and I like the extra body it has over something like the modern Grover drums or something. I've played lots of multiple strainer drums which are nice for dialing stuff in, but most orchestras have one of those, genberally a Majestic around here, as well as whatever else one might need. I'd love a AK bronze piccolo, but whatever. When I'm old and rich..

There are really only two more drums.

Yamaha Club Custom:
I've been messing around with this. In a way I thought it might be my choice for the upcoming gig. What is it. It's really sort of a modern Broakaster, right. Though different, it doesn't really fill a hole for me as is. I'm gonna try putting some wood hoops on it and set it up to be more mellow low volume option. I think that's the right place for it.

Slingerland Radio King:
This is the last one. These are classics for a reason and many guys I know doing the traditional jazz stuff really only have this drum.

The 4 others are just options. Also the modern hammered brass and 4160 are offcorse more replaceable.

There are other options that might show up for a future need. The modern hammered brass drum can sort of do the modern metal shell thing well enough. If there's a hole that would need filling in the future, that's the type of drum that's missing, also something more Greb-style, for lack of a better word, but it's not something I really feel I need.

So really, apart from a couple of small ones I feel my bases are well covered.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Here ya go, Pocket.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks...how did I miss this thread! Already
lusting after Christopher's collection on this
page...want to hear that Keller Home Build Maple - 5.5 X 14 (2009)
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”