Sting Beck Vinnie Wilkenfeld people get ready

Phil T.

Re: Sting Beck Vinnie Wilkenfeld people get ready

Postby Phil T. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:46 pm

I've always liked Jeff's playing from the old blues-rock stuff through the '70s fusion and into the newer material. I really respect his decision to go with a fingerpicking style some years ago - it makes him unique. Also, it must have taken a major effort to get the new technique up to performance level. Overall, I think he plays with great expression.

The other guy who really impressed me with his expressiveness and tonal command recently is John McLaughlin. The last couple of times I'd seen him he was using a very processed sound (run through a Mac). This time it was more straight guitar and amp, which really brought out all the shadings he gets from the strings. Very, very nice.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 pm

maggimus wrote:I was just joking Rodge :) This is quite rediculous discussion.. Dennis has been "heavy" (to say the least) for as long as I can remember him and no one's talking about that. And I frankly do not care if VC is thick or thin, he's always my favorite.

Oh for sure. Someone who is heavy as a body type is one thing

A guy who gains a 100lbs is concerning, for the same reason... my favorite, want to see the guy playing for many years.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Phil T. wrote: Overall, I think he plays with great expression.

I agree.

His feel is undeniably his, too. Few guitarists can really speak with their instruments like Beck.

David Gilmore is another.

They exemplify how note placement is as important as note choice.

Love it. And Vinnie + Beck is a match made in heaven.

Robert Plant would have been a better fit for that tune than Sting, if a rock star singer was what he was after.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:18 pm

If you guys are referring to Vinnie's "gut", I am pretty sure that it is the fan (to his left) blowing his shirt out, and is not actually "him." You can see that in the first couple seconds of the clip when he pulls his shirt out. Maybe that will help...
:|
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm

littlegrooves wrote:If you guys are referring to Vinnie's "gut", I am pretty sure that it is the fan (to his left) blowing his shirt out, and is not actually "him." You can see that in the first couple seconds of the clip when he pulls his shirt out. Maybe that will help...
:|

Really? What happened here then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8r9neY1lo

He strapped a pillow under his shirt?
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Well, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt... damn... :shock:
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 pm

im sure when vin is done touring he will get back to taking care of himself , that said vinnie could be as wide as my front door i really dont give a shit he still going to be the baddest cat around 57 years old and still pushing the drumming envelope

offtopic, i love me some matched grip vinnie :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxJ0Z5gmr5I
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am

Suspiria wrote:

Sounds like the end to Actual Proof? Killing.
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:10 am

For those that think the discussion should focus on drumming isntead of looks, that is certainly true, but it's not like the tone of people commenting on Vinnie's weight is that of a bully making fun of a fat dude. From what I have read, for the most, people are simply genuinely oncerned for the health of their drum hero. Nothing wrong with that.

Happy Friday to everyone!
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 am

Suspiria wrote:for the most, people are simply genuinely oncerned for the health of their drum hero. Nothing wrong with that.

Hear, hear!

My own concern for Vinnie's weight gain stems from my own experience with a recent heart issue, directly related to weight gain, so whatever the reason behind Vinnie's increased girth, he needs to get a grip and sort it: at his age he's right in the zone for problems.
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr

Return to “Drumming Chat”