Steve Smith Back in Journey

BennyAndTheSkins

Re: Steve Smith Back in Journey

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:37 am

Looking at his documentary was cool - he's such a consummate professional. I'm happy he got this opportunity to go back out with them. With the shape he's in, and how he takes care of himself, I'll bet he's playing into his 70's or 80's..... another Roy Haynes.

He played a gig with George Brooks and Summit at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill a few years ago.... the Indian Student Union had brought him in. My 2 sons and I are walking up to the venue, and we see Steve sitting on a bench outside just warming up on a knee pad, with no one else around...... walked up, and he gave us a Konnikol lesson (tak a di mi, etc...)..... cool guy.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Looking at Steve's cymbals (1980 clip) and on the new Erskine thread (almost vertical ride)
is fascinating compared to today's far more ergonmic acceptance, making these clips look so radical.
Simon is one of the cats who remains unchanged. Youth gives grace to a lot of imbalances I suppose.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:58 pm

They really kicked some ass at Pine Knob, the whole band put some power out. Fun times, positive energies all over the place.

Here is a full show. Steve is starting to own the gig again, even with the "jazz" cymbals. :)

Looks like he's really digging it, as I'm sure all the accommodations are such that playing the gig is a joy that few will ever know.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 pm

the first tune from that concert smith looks like he's on auto pilot. No fire. a drum machine could have brought more energy to the the song. He's older I get it. The band should have hired a guy who can bring some energy to a rock concert.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:08 pm

He's no MIck Fleetwood, but I have a feeling only drummers care.

Like many other bands, Journey are a tribute band to themselves and the fans just want to hear the songs and sing along. For the oldies I guess having Steve back is cool either way.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Live, the energy of the whole band was no issue. The pace of the show was pretty good, chicks were digging it. The Doobies had Ed Toth and another drummer, corgot his name, holding it down. Ed was immobile but the other guy was twirling and eveything.

Deen is a beast and I love his playing but the low key tunes, he is a little on top where Smith was right there.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm

He's no MIck Fleetwood, but I have a feeling only drummers care.

--not sure I get that but it was funny. Mick is great, but he ain't no SS!

This is a less discussed Smith composition...really dig this one...reminds me of
Bozzio on a Missing Persons tune. I'll take this drum sound over anything today.
Classic open Smith fills that are larger than life...this whole LP is a rock drum
masterclass.

langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm

There is something distant about the sound of that record that is appealing. I think a lot of current recordings are so damned pristine that it's almost too much. Sometimes a little distance is ok, we don't need to hear everything, leave a bit to the imagination...it's hard to make out what he's doing, that's kinda part of the fun.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 am

Killer sounding bootleg from 79 in Chicago. Kohoutek.

Full show, sounds excellent. Smith's drums are punchy as hell. Sounds better than Captured.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm

JOURNEY HOF Speeches...Smith gave a nice breakdown of
his "drum journey"--less the wankers who couldn't shut up.

Terrible quality recording...especially when Steve is speaking...
as the female kept saying, "SHUT UP DUDE!" Seriously...Smitty
sharing and people are talking...

Whatever reason Perry did NOT sing, it is no reason...also no
PERRY backstage for post-interviews. WHAT was he thinking...
he could have put this nonsense to rest, but again it seems,
"Elvis has left the building..."

Return to “Drumming Chat”