Drum related injuries (I did something to my leg)

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Drum related injuries (I did something to my leg)

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 pm

So yesterday I drummed for maybe 40 minutes and shortly after started feeling a dull pain in my right leg at the top where it intersects with my hip. Later that night and the next day it's escalated pretty severely; I'm limping, lifting my leg in any capacity is pretty painful. I'm pretty sure it's muscular but I have no idea what happened. It doesn't hurt when I press on the spot in question, it feels like it's inside the leg, not on the surface.

I'm planning on going to a doctor if it doesn't feel better in a day or two.

Anyone hear of or have any experience with this kind of thing?
Paul Marangoni

Re: Drum related injuries (I did something to my leg)

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:35 pm

My guess is bursitis. I've had it a few times. You should be okay in a few days. Just take it easy as much as possible.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/di ... c_Bursitis
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:05 am

Overuse hip flexor tendonitis...ibuprofen 600mg 3-4 times daily, heat, easy range of motion, warm-up before next session....unlikely x-rays or testing will benefit anything...
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:17 am

I feel like I've felt "that pain" before from playing, although it never progressed to the point where I was limping.

Tweaked my seat height *higher* by ~1" and it stopped.

No fun! Good luck.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:53 am

Extra time for hand work then. :) :)

Never had much pain yet. Just an index finger lately that was probably the same type of condition in a smaller joint. Took 2-3 weeks.

Actually, all Friday and Saturday I sat all day at the pad either doing Pratt or watching Daredevil while doing singles or repeating sections. Didnt get up or stretch or do anything except getting a bit of food here and there. When I woke up yesterday shoulders were so stiff and painful I could hardly move. So I kept playing. :lol: I did stretch out do some push-ups and drink tons of water and now it's better. Was probably dehydrated and sitting a bit low, too.

Obviously, if one has an office job and then proceeds to intense drumming sessions getting some movement, stretching and having plenty of fluids and anyting anti anflammatory helps. I take fish oil, eat loads of turmeric and eat enzyme caps like candy, so...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 am

Doc says hip flexor strain.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hip-pain/ ... -pain.aspx

Today it's a LOT better thankfully. Yesterday was preeeeetty rough.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:22 am

I would look into a physical trainer who can do a mobility test. I have had a few problems, somewhat severe, corrected with a session or two, and the exercises generated. There are quite a few great movement exercises that can get your hips in shape.

I have a suspicion a lot of people get surgery on their hips where the problems could be corrected with exercise and stretching...something a lot would rather not do.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 am

Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 am

Nature bats last.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I'm with langmick on this one. Take this one as a warning, try to go with physical therapy and keep it going with some training to improve overall physical condition. There's a lot of different training modes available right now that aren't weight lifting and can do wonders.
I mean, I'm 33 and I spent a huge portion of my teenage years playing sports. Once I became a full time musician my physical condition went away and only in recent years, after noticing negative sensations in my body related to all that, I've rerurned to training and keeping in a high shape. So if I intend to keep playing at high levels for a long time, I better keep training. I mean, Virgil is the example to follo in that regard. Maybe not to such a high degree, but you can see the point: high level training and high level practicing can take you well into your late fifties performing like that.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito

Return to “Drumming Chat”