JoJo Tomorrow (Mon) night at GC LA

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

JoJo Tomorrow (Mon) night at GC LA

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 am

Is there a topic on this already? I'm going to make it if at possible. Then Gavin the next night? There really is a ton of shit happening these days, It's cool.
Rodge

Re: JoJo Tomorrow (Mon) night at GC LA

Postby Rodge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 am

Yeah, pre-NAMM is burning !!!
Only in LA.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:40 am

What's missing is RODGE!!!! Wish I could hang with you bro. When is that happening again?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 pm

I don't know Steve... :-(
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Have fun guys. Will Steve Smith be there too? Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkXkMp4N18
drumsrdrugs

Postby drumsrdrugs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

LADanny

Postby LADanny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Shoot. Can't make tomorrow, but Gavin for sure on Tuesday night.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

So JoJo played great but the sound was pretty awful. Considering it was the "Pro Audio" department it was pretty muddy and the drums weren't as present as I thought they should have been for a friggin DRUM clinic.

I got to spend some time chatting with Gavin out front before hand, that was very cool. He was super nice, and is very much looking forward to tomorrows clinic (wink wink Gav).

Also present was Chris Coleman, one of the few young guys out there that has the kind of depth that appeals to me, I got his email and may hit him up for a lesson. I could use a perspective like his on my playing. He's the only gospel chops guy that I like really.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Ya too bad about the sound. I dunno, I wasn't blown away to be honest. Sure I got to see and hear licks that I'll probably never have the facility to execute but it just didn't fulfill me. Its so strange because I'm such a chops fan. Perhaps it was the combination of horrible sound and a general lack of overall clinic preparation (technical) that turned me off a bit.

Jojo sure was funny though. He had me laughing pretty hard a few times. It was great to witness the mastery of his motion behind the kit. He owns it.

Jojo did a 30 second sound check groove with some ridiculous hat hat phrasing and my drummer buddy turns and says, "Well he just destroyed my entire bag already". :)
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am

Lucky guys...!!! I miss this time of year (but not the traffic the rest of it!)

Hey you know (to Isaac and all), take it as inspiration. Nothing they do you can't do, they are human like you and I. As vinnie has said, it's all about qualitative repetition. JoJo's (and the like) have been playing longer then I've been alive, it's not comparable. Nor would I want to be them, I want to be me.
It's a language and we all have our own unique story to tell.

Never forget the best masters/writers often used the simplest forms. Read Hemingway, arguably one of the best writers of the last 100 years. His language is simple, coarse and effective.

Just trying to throw the positive spin on the "oh shit!" aspect. I'll never be a spaceman, but I'll sure as hell try and be a great drummer.

Return to “Drumming Chat”