Moulded in ear monitors/ear plugs vs isolation in ears

chris perra

Moulded in ear monitors/ear plugs vs isolation in ears

Postby chris perra » Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm

I've been using Shure se 215's to play with a click for just over a year, lately my ears are on fire with tinnitus. To me they feel like they have as much iso rejection as a set of ear plugs. I'm worried about my ears getting worse so I have to try and find something more effective Iso wise.

In the past I've used regular ears plug, moulded 25 db ear plugs Extreeme Iso 25 headphones, To me the Shures are as good as blocking out sound as anything I've used.

Is there anyone who has used those and can compare them to a moulded set of In ear monitors like Ulitmate ears etc? I'm curious if the moulded in ears have better rejection than a set of ear plugs. The Ulitmate Ears advertise a 27 db reduction.. The shure advertise up to 37 db.

I purchased a rev 33 unit. waiting to receive it. Hopefully that will help..

I'm wondering if I should get moulded in ears, If I was doing a full monitor mix that would make sense but I'm just running click and I'm really just looking for more isolation.

I dunno exactly what to do, just that my tinnitus is noticeably worse lately.
Paul Marangoni

Re: Moulded in ear monitors/ear plugs vs isolation in ears

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat May 21, 2016 5:31 pm

You must have the level of the click way too high. Is your band playing that loud? Do you use the click all night? Or are you suggesting that the tinnitus is from the level of your drums/cymbals leaking in?
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat May 21, 2016 8:00 pm

I don't have the click at ear splitting levels. The band can get loud from time to time not at the levels when I was younger though. I just finished a set. I noticed that I had it louder than my snare.

So I imagine that if the band is at 100 to 110 dh or so acoustically dropped to 80 or 90

and the click is over that. That can do some damage over time even though it doesn't bug me while playing.

I use the click all night.. every night
Last edited by chris perra on Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat May 21, 2016 8:09 pm

chris perra wrote:I use the click all night.. every night

You're nuts. Your hearing is more important than saving a few bucks on hiring another couple musicians.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Had the 215, hated those things (besides the iso factor).
A couple of thoughts... Try a lower-pitched sound (woodblock instead of cowbells for instance), alcohol and weed can make tinnitus worse (for some people), had the molded inears and can´t say if the isolation was better, but the overall perception of the music around was more life-like... Less scooped.
I used to have the click on just one ear, and switch ears every other day for instance...
I bet you have a nice inner clock... Talk about your hearing with the band, maybe you can count-off the band with the click and then turn it off? Perhaps use LiveBPM to smooth out the transition? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eBPM&hl=es
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat May 21, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm not playing to tracks. I'm just doing it to have solid time.

I tried alot lower this set. We'll see how it goes in a week or 2
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 pm

The question I habe is is the isolation for in ear monitors that are moulded as good as ear plugs.

I've had moulded ear plugs with 25 db filters and they sounded flatter than ear plugs or the e 215.

I think the isolation of 215 are better. In the top end especially..

since a moulded in ear doesn't have a filter does it have better isolation?

it could be as simple as " Turn the click down dumb ass.!!!!"

Haha.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun May 22, 2016 7:32 am

chris perra wrote:I'm not playing to tracks. I'm just doing it to have solid time.

That's insanity right there.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun May 22, 2016 8:01 am

Try setting up a visual metronome next to your hats to check if you're on rather than pumping it in through your ears. Are you playing every weekend? Try to transition away from the in-ears. That's what I would do, ymmv.

And practice playing to the click more! :)
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun May 22, 2016 10:10 am

langmick wrote:And practice playing to the click more! :)

Chris is an excellent drummer with impeccable time and groove. He has no need for a click. That's why I called it insanity. He needs to see a psychiatrist.

Return to “Drumming Chat”