Hearing Loss

john lamb

Hearing Loss

Postby john lamb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Hello HODers, I just updated Anatomy of Drumming with a new chapter on Hearing Loss. It has something you probably never heard about how many medicines can multiply the damage to the ear from loud noises. (yes really) Please share it! I think it is very important for people to know, and nobody has heard about it. Thanks!

http://johnlambdrums.com/hearing-loss/
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
langmick

Re: Hearing Loss

Postby langmick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:51 am

Interesting, thanks for this!
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:31 am

If there's anything you learn from living long enough in the modern age, it's that you take a look at your meds when any problem presents.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 pm

I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia last week and was put on the usual Z Pack and a steroid. Lost lots of hearing in my left ear. It's like it won't pop to open up. Once in a while I can yawn try to pop my ears and it will for a second then it's back to clogged but they don't feel clogged. Maybe in a few weeks it will open up. Hope it's not permanent.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:35 pm

I hope not Kurtis! And it probably isn't. Direct damage from that stuff is usually temporary (most of it anyway). It is the extra damage from noise that is the bigger danger to drummers.

The feeling of clogged seems to be a a mental, top-down effect. Because the ear isn't hearing as well as expected, part of the brain is like "It's gotta be clogged" and inserts the feeling of clogginess.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 pm

I am on steroid spray after 10 days of antibiotics for a sinus infection.. My ears are constantly popping. and I've had increased tinittus in the last few months.

I have some weird stuff sinus wise going on and my eustation tubes are clogged.. They are supposed to open up and pressurize my ears but the don't.

Hopefully my extra ringing will go away once they start working again.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Hopefully! Be aware that in you current state you're *much* more susceptible to damage from noise. The damage doesn't add, it multiplies, so wear heavy-duty earplugs on stage or when practicing
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:33 pm

I always wear hearing protection.. Even in between sets nowdays..
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey Chris you using the bottle rinse with the saline solution? Much easier than a netti pot. Works great to clear stuff out in a flash. Then use some Flonase to keep the inflammation down. Not a fan of antibiotics but when you have pneumonia guess it's a wise choice to take them. if you get a steroid shot (in the bum bum) it works freakin wonders. Brings inflammation way down. Felt like a new person the next day. Also a ton of water helps the cause. My left ear is slowly unclogging, I think.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm not actually stuffed up really.. The 10 days of anti biotics did the job. Rather than giving me more they have me on the steroid nasal spray for a few weeks. Hopefully that will deal with what's left.. I feel fine breathing wise, just my ears and eustation tubes are the issue. I Imagine if this doesn't work out I'll be referred to a ear nose and throat guy.

Return to “Drumming Chat”