Double bass technique

Rudy_Ment

Double bass technique

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:32 am

Quick question guys. As I practise double bass exercises, I'm trying to decide whether to pursue just balancing heel up on the balls of my feet, effectively more the front of the feet, or allowing the whole foot to slam down onto the heel? The first seems more natural to me, but the latter seems like it would give more stability to the timing and ultimately be more relaxed. At the moment, I'm practising with the click at 138bpm, going back and forth between 1/8 triplets and 1/16ths. The 1/16ths are harder!
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Paul Marangoni

Re: Double bass technique

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 am

Heels up, but when practicing, sometimes it's helpful to play heels down and very slowly. There shouldn't be any "slamming" going on. Also, there are times when you will be using more ankle movement than full-leg movement.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:30 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Heels up, but when practicing, sometimes it's helpful to play heels down and very slowly. There shouldn't be any "slamming" going on. Also, there are times when you will be using more ankle movement than full-leg movement.

Hi Paul. I'm playing heel up, but what I'm referring to is this: check what he does at 2:09 to 2:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlfZSiBxTMg

and compared to this,, the floating technique, which seems to come more naturally to me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjt0toay_4

but I like the way the other technique looks.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:12 am

I'm pretty sure he's doing that heel exercise as a practice technique, not as a way of actually playing.

Also, remember that double bass drum stuff can be fun, but it takes up a lot of sonic space, and most of the time it won't be very musical. My advice is to use it sparingly.

As for practicing it, I have found that working in accents helps a lot with control.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 am

It makes sense to practice both heel up and heel down regardless of what you mostly use when playing. It depends on your application.

I pretty much do the same stuff as with the hands. I just ordered another pedal so that I'll be able to work my feet effectively at home on the pad as well without having to move them around all the time.

From a conditioning perspective I just view the hands and feet as equal.

I basically want the flexibility. Tempo and volume influences technique a lot. It's just anotheer tool for me. I can't and will probably never work up to those constant beats at modern metal player speed, but the same principles apply. As with the hands there comes a speed where you'd be wise to minimize the motion. There has to be lots of overlap to be practical, though.

The motions in the video are exercises. Slamming heels, heel down and the same with heels above the floor, they're all good as they work different muscles and gives you stability and control.

Many things will answer themelves.

I'd say to definetly work on combinations, "riff grooves" and so on as well, as it's requires different skills from a constant burst of notes. Break it up.

In my case my left foot is nowhere near the level of my right foot, but it doesn't have to be. If I wanted to be the next Kollias my priorities would be different, though.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:I'm pretty sure he's doing that heel exercise as a practice technique, not as a way of actually playing.

Also, remember that double bass drum stuff can be fun, but it takes up a lot of sonic space, and most of the time it won't be very musical. My advice is to use it sparingly.

As for practicing it, I have found that working in accents helps a lot with control.

Check this video at his left foot at 2:!2 in slow motion. Perhaps it's not quite what I thought, but it does look like his heel is coming down onto the footplate in a similar way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGUMketGMw

Oh yeah, absolutely, it will be sparing. I'm going to be recording myself to a gospel shuffle groove backing track, and it'll be a one time 'question & answer' type snare to kick 1/16th fill, almost exactly the same as Tom Brechtlein does right here at 2:19 to 2:21 which I've almost got down, it just needs tightening up. Although I'll be doing it at 138bpm and he does it at about 148bpm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8itrVCV ... A2k8tDpANg

Such a badass fill, eh!
Last edited by Rudy_Ment on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:52 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:It makes sense to practice both heel up and heel down regardless of what you mostly use when playing. It depends on your application.

I pretty much do the same stuff as with the hands. I just ordered another pedal so that I'll be able to work my feet effectively at home on the pad as well without having to move them around all the time.

From a conditioning perspective I just view the hands and feet as equal.

I basically want the flexibility. Tempo and volume influences technique a lot. It's just anotheer tool for me. I can't and will probably never work up to those constant beats at modern metal player speed, but the same principles apply. As with the hands there comes a speed where you'd be wise to minimize the motion. There has to be lots of overlap to be practical, though.

The motions in the video are exercises. Slamming heels, heel down and the same with heels above the floor, they're all good as they work different muscles and gives you stability and control.

Many things will answer themelves.

I'd say to definetly work on combinations, "riff grooves" and so on as well, as it's requires different skills from a constant burst of notes. Break it up.

In my case my left foot is nowhere near the level of my right foot, but it doesn't have to be. If I wanted to be the next Kollias my priorities would be different, though.

Yep, I concur with what you say completely. Ever since buying an electric kit recently, and started triggering EZ Drummer 2, it's reignited my desire to start practising again in a big way, so that double bass drum technique that's been put off for a while is now getting some lurve! :D
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Sort of looks like the Derek Roddy flat foot thing

Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Playing with electronic bass drums is tricky. It's hard to get a stable pad, cause doublebass makes it move around. I have the Roland TD25 and the bass drum is pretty awful. It feels good for single bass drum. But I need make some kind of mount for it if i want to do doublebass. i switched it with a ddrum 4SE kick pad which is way more stable.

Up or down? Just play whatever way you can do it best. Switching around is good, and you will find out when the best time is to play up or down.
BTW I am using the Progressive Foundry. The snares are real solid, as the original Superior Drummer 2.0 are kinda thin sounding. And it has a ride mic you can turn up for recording.
A very nice expansion. I also want to get Volume 2 New York cause it has some big room sounds that I like.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:the floating technique, which seems to come more naturally to me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjt0toay_4

It's bad enough being seated in a hip flexed position for long periods of time, let alone placing additional stress wrenching the spine by 'floating' the legs. Virgil Donati of course has the mechanics down.

Return to “Drumming Chat”