Indy 500 Pit Stop Method for Changing Drum Heads?

Christopher

Indy 500 Pit Stop Method for Changing Drum Heads?

Postby Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I guess if you’re ever in a serious hurry to change a head, this would help…

:shock:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Indy 500 Pit Stop Method for Changing Drum Heads?

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Makes sense for a drum company, possibly a drum tech, but not for one musician.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 pm

That's brilliant! Why not for one musician? I'm sure it's not that expensive, and the point is for better tuning. I wonder if the equal turns really work though.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 pm

cool idea. you could make one of those. one trip to a drum shop and the other to home depot.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:That's brilliant! Why not for one musician? I'm sure it's not that expensive, and the point is for better tuning. I wonder if the equal turns really work though.

Not really, it will get every lug very close to each other but you'd always have to fine tune them yourself one by one. It's the same as with torque keys and all that stuff. The whole concept falls apart as soon as heads, rims, rods and bearing edges aren't 100% perfect.
But it sure looks fast as hell. Might be nice for a whole kit change or if you break a head live, in which case it would be really cool to have the lugs pretty close to tuned right away.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Like Matus said, the concept relies on the theory that everything is equal, which is never true.

Why is it so hard for drummers to just learn to tune a drum? It's really not that hard, and after a time, it becomes very fast.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:Like Matus said, the concept relies on the theory that everything is equal, which is never true.

Why is it so hard for drummers to just learn to tune a drum? It's really not that hard, and after a time, it becomes very fast.

Agreed! I like the "quality time" I get with my drums when I'm in a quiet place and I can clearly listen to the harmonics. You can pick up on the ideosyncracies of each drum this way and get a feel for each drum's tuning range. This becomes useful when you do get into those situations when you have to make quick adjustments on the fly. Knowing how each drum is going to respond to the turns of a key is invaluable.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Matus nailed it.

If you have do do lots of head changes quickly, it may help a lot, but when it comes to tuning, you're still going to have to seat and tune the head such that the sound at every lug matches.
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 am

Not to mention the fact that no two heads will respond equally to equal tension, so you'll still have to figure the relative tension between top and bottom heads.
I can't remember how many times I've had this conversation regarding memo-key devices. At least this is advertised as a fast head changing thing, not the philosopher's stone of drum tuning.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 am

I dont imagine myself pulling that off after breaking a head live, much less a BD head LOL

But for pro drummer who need to change heads before each gig on a long tour it could very well make their lives easier.

Return to “Drumming Chat”