Drum mic packs..

chris perra

Drum mic packs..

Postby chris perra » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

I ordered a set of these.. I need a few for live... This is probably a terrible idea.. But worth being a guinea pig for if it works out haha..

I'm not to savvy on the OEM manufacturing going on these days. I'm hoping that these are on the side mics from the same factory as some other cheap lines..

I can't imagine a company deciding to deliberately build a factory to make a mic pack for 150 bucks.

Then again.. I bought them haha..

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0147Y ... UTF8&psc=1
GoAndPractice

Re: Drum mic packs..

Postby GoAndPractice » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Hey man you never know. At the very least you can use them at shows in case your sound guy doesn't have enough stuff. I've been to plenty where they run out of mics and decide to ditch the toms, only use overheads etc...
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:28 am

You get what you pay for and that's less than (1) Audix D2.

There is a chance you may just end up pissing off the sound guy, which is generally not hard to do at all. If he can't get a good sound out of your mics, he might just bring the faders down.

I would test them out before bring them to a gig, see if they are consistent and don't add any weird colorations.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Many things are surprisingly good. Especially for average live use.

If they at least work on toms, you have that. Obviously, techs don't just run out of mics, but also channels, so having a small mixer to sum those isn't a bad idea either.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

I fully expect them to be crap.. You never know though...For me getting 5 drum mic mics clips in Canada .. the cheapest I could find was 20 bucks each..

So I get 5 mic clips and 7 mics for 150. I can't complain.. I'm sure I can find a use for something.. Even if it's for intentional lowfi garbage in the studio.

It can be very hard to emulated low fi when using good mics..

Most of the gigs I do,.. I'm the sound guy.. we don't really mic anything but the kick with a D6 or MXl A55 in most rooms.. I have a set of Audio Technicas for the rest of the kit..

I bought 2 Zoom H6's for live recording.. I needed some extra mics this seemed the cheapest way to go.. We'll see.. I'll do a studio recording with them and see if they are decent or not when they arrive..

The lame part about buying a cheap set of drum mics is you can't get a real handle on their potential as any demos are done buy kids or amateurs with horrible sounding drumsets..
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Do post some clips when you get them!
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 am

I bought these CADs a number of years ago for those times when it was necessary.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum-microphone-packages/cad-pro-7-drum-microphone-kit-7-piece

Not top of the line, by any means, but they work. I've used them a number of times playing outside without real sound help. Once another drummer used my set and those mics -- I stood in the back of the audience and they sounded pretty good, actually.

I mean they are what they are, but a fellow could do worse for $150.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:55 am

Yeah they might fall apart but you never know.... I've been using these $50 in-ear monitors for two years now and they're great
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015S2I6A0/re ... UTF8&psc=1
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Here's a review.... There are some issues.. but they are useable... For 150 buck Canadian.. a Good Deal.. but you need to be phase savvy and have better mic positions to get the best out of them..

Last edited by chris perra on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Man that adjustment issue is a huge oversight on their part!

Return to “Drumming Chat”