De Pinging a floor tom

chris perra

De Pinging a floor tom

Postby chris perra » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:20 pm

I woke up with this idea today.. Still a little work needed to get it perfect.. but maybe the Vinnie...."Awww Yeah!!!..."Silver Sealer!!!!" "comment has some merit...

Pocketplayer

Re: De Pinging a floor tom

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Dig it! Great video
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:38 am

It's an idea anyway.. the final result was too much de pinging to me.... I'll do a vid with the right ratio ..... need to cut the fabric down the the right amount to get get just the right amount of ping versus "Doooooom" sound..

It's interesting I never really though about it before..

One day I woke up and said.. I really like the Timbre and pitch I get from a 16 by 16... Better than a 16 by 14...timbre and pitch wise.. but I don't dig the ping from 16 by 16's in general..

I though what if it's from the inside.. Because my toms aren't 10 by 10 or 12 by 12.. maybe there's a ratio of ping vs Dooooom .... perhaps there is.. I have yet to find it so far.. but feel confident that I can.. as I've taken it too far in the other direction,... It's just a matter of going back..
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Great job chris. I've now got 3 pieces of moongel on my Yamaha 9000 15" rack tom like you (had) before depinging, and it sounds so much better more warmth and general tonal roundness.

On your depinging, I could clearly hear the difference when you held the canvas loosely inside the shell, all the ping vanished. But once you had the head back on and started hitting the drum, I honestly found it difficult to discern much if any difference. But I'm guessing that actually being in your room and playing the drum would make it easier to tell.

You could probably get away with attaching a tad more material to the inside. The material you dangled loosely in the drum was 100% successful and completely defeated the pings, whereas the amount of material you velcroed still left some noticeable , albeit, minimal ping. Unless of course you already feel you've achieved the right sound, in which case, if it ain't broke.. ;)

edit: having just read your last reply more carefully, ignore what I said as it seems you want some of that ping back.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:55 pm

I just want a bit back.. It gives a bit of life to the drum that the other 2 toms have...

Am I the only one out there that hears a Basketball vibe coming out of larger toms?.. Am I just crazy?
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Very interesting.

Yes i notice it on 16x16 floor toms too. Especially if they aren't mounted well or are on legs that dont have any kind of suspension.

You could do a great Jim Gaffigan impression by the way
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 pm

chris perra wrote:I just want a bit back.. It gives a bit of life to the drum that the other 2 toms have...

Am I the only one out there that hears a Basketball vibe coming out of larger toms?.. Am I just crazy?

No, you're not. Try the Pearl R40/3 feet. I've swapped my Sonor solid FT feet for these and don't hear that at all, and I use clear Emperor over a clear Ambassador and wide open (no muffling, no gel, etc.)

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 pm

What about the old trick (Simon´s?) of dropping a couple of cotton balls inside the FT. They´ll act like a natural gate (ala Dave snare thingy). Maybe we worth the try... :mrgreen:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:18 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:What about the old trick (Simon´s?) of dropping a couple of cotton balls inside the FT. They´ll act like a natural gate (ala Dave snare thingy). Maybe we worth the try... :mrgreen:

Benny Greb does that, too. He went over it in his latest DVD.

Now, I don't play the fanciest kit in the world and though I have a typical fusion 6-piece and 16" myself, I don't see them much elsewhere these days. It's definetly the drum that's most sensitive and looses it's sustain first when the head's not in tune with itself and also the drum I generally feel the least motivated to fix.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 pm

To me...there's a difference between the ping of the walls of the tom and sustain. I have the same floor tom boots.. and my floor in my basement is the Walmart coloured foam type mat things with a carpet on top.. I have no issues with sustain.. Just the blend of ping vs tone with a 16 by 16...

Return to “Drumming Chat”