Weckl and Holdsworth

mcraeh

Weckl and Holdsworth

Postby mcraeh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:10 am

Would love to see them get together, they hang with some of the same players but to my knowledge I don't think they have ever done anything together? Maybe someone knows here..thx
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Weckl and Holdsworth

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 am

Man. I expected a clip. :evil:
Rene

Postby Rene » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Man. I expected a clip. :evil:

..... in the threat about dave weckl.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 am

mcraeh wrote:Would love to see them get together, they hang with some of the same players but to my knowledge I don't think they have ever done anything together? Maybe someone knows here..thx

I really don't see Dave with Allan...

To me Dave is not "Rock" enough for that gig.
Think about Husband, Chad, Vinnie, Tony, Novak, Bruner, they are "dirty" and are some heavy hitter, I don't want to see the clean drumming of Dave with Allan.

Now, Dave is a drum God, I'm sure something great would come out anyway, it was just my 0,002$... :-)

PS : Virg' is really rock, but I was not fan of his work with Allan, I don't think is great improvisator enough.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:08 am

I'm with Rodge...Weck is fucking awesome but I dont feel it with Allan and I like any of the above with him better than Virg.
Wackerman is great but his drums sound like shit
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
mcraeh

Postby mcraeh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:55 am

yeah, i can see that but I think Weckl's phrasing and ability to shift in and out of time sig's would be intersting to his interpetation compared to say the usual suspects (which are great btw!!). Plus I'm sure he can play heavier if need be, not much he can't do it seems. I think it would add some smoothness to his tunes and possible new ones we haven't yet heard. If anyone can transition in out of odd times its Dave and I would think it would nice to hear without the sometimes jarring transitions were used to hearing from AH's tunes. Although sometimes those are cool too. who knows its just been on mind for a while..thx
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:58 am

Agree with Rodge all the way on this. Still stand behind Secrets being my favorite album. There's a bootleg of Vinnie with Allan from '89 Live at "Sneakers" that has to be the most balls to the wall iteration of that group... I seriously wish that video bootleg with them wasn't so shaky.
mcraeh

Postby mcraeh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 am

Weckl does fit and sound great with Farfard stuff!! Husband on new one, out tomorrow I think!!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:28 am

Allan Holdsworth is not a gig that you play with in-ears monitor... :p
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:41 am

Dave is clean and safe, Vinnie is the guy that can be clean even when taking all sorts of risks, but anyway, I'm reserving judgement until it happens.

Dave's thing is generally to clean for me and I don't dig most of the music personally, but in a setting like with Oz Noy I think he's a great fit. It brings out the best in him, to my taste.

Also, after meeting him on the intensive, he's a great guy, nice, friendly, helpful, and gave way more than he was obliged to do. TOL work ethic.

It's slightly OT, but Dave, Vinnie and a few others are often rumored to be a bit arrogant, probably by jealous basement wankers , but anyway........ I've never seen any evidence of anything but the opposite.

Return to “Drumming Chat”