Your desert island snare...

Old Pit Guy

Re: Your desert island snare...

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 am

Julián Fernández wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:Not trying to damp the GAS stoke, but snare drums are so worshipped on drum forums it's pretty silly.

Stick to one snare is GAS stoke? Yeah, sure... hahah :lol:

I appreciate this thread topic, I really do. But isn't part of the reason for threads like this because so many guys have a half a dozen or more and still want more?
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:18 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:Not trying to damp the GAS stoke, but snare drums are so worshipped on drum forums it's pretty silly.

I'm pretty sure no little girl's puppy died because of this thread being started.

So you don't think snare drums are overdone on most drum forums?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:59 am

Dude. :roll: It's a drum forum. :lol:

Anyway, I'll qualify my choices a little bit.

I got interested in the Vinnie snare after hearing it on the Steve Gadd ADAA thing. As neutral as a recording is gonna get, I guess. I just has a bit of everything. Sounds nice and even, no too barky, almost has s 1-ply thing happening in the upper mids, very responsive. Just a perfect all round wood snare.

Same with the hammered brass. Also intially inspired by seeing Vinnie use it so much for recording, but it just fits the same description for a metal snare. It's dried up just enough that for the average situaion I don't need gel and the older version I got has the same nice and even overtone spread. It's the metal version of the wood frum to me. Just dry enough for average heavy back beat work, nice complex tone and in lower volume situations enough cuts through to work well there, too. Doesn't have those things that I don't really enjoy in a supra, but still cuts just fine.

I don't really tune super high or super low and they handle a wide span in the middle there as well as anything to my taste.

They are just good drums with a balanced character that don't overpower my character.

Don't need anything but those two, I just have the others as they each expand on one extreme of the timbres sometimes wanted for a certain situations.

For one drum only, metal will always win for versatility, but wood is where the really different characters lie.

I don't really like the modern metal shell sounds ala Dunnett titanium or most DW offerings, can't stand something like Gavin's snare sound either(just annoyingly un-snary) which gives me in reality quite a narrow spectre of sounds I'm interested in. If I can't get that both warm and cutting mid thing happening I don't even know why I'd bother.

The outsider is my Longo, which if you want to fill a room purely acoustically and stil take up some sonic space, that's got you covered.

Now, if I wasn't so "Gretschy", your basic maple Craviotto or N&C would be hard to beat for an all-round wood drum.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:53 am

removed
Last edited by Old Pit Guy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:08 am

I remember being in line at a clinic once, might have been an early Bozzio, and these guys were arguing and arguing on and on about plys. "Dude, 6 plys of maple man, dude."

Blatant signaling is weird. Take one of those multi-ply snares and donate it to a school that has kids that would play the damned thing.

Hell, I might do that with the few I have, they're just sitting around.

Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:38 am

removed
Last edited by Old Pit Guy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:38 am

I hought we were talking about 1 choice snare here.

:?:
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm not a huge gear heard with hundreds of drums. I can't say that's for reasons of principle -- basically it's just expediency. Lack of money and storage space.

My best snare, and the one I basically always use, is my BB. I just like it.

If anyone wants to send me snares they don't want, I''l try to find a spot for them. 8-)

In the meantime, more than likely, I will grab my Black Beauty.

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Nice, MRhet! What about Mark and Kaide! You have nice collections! What´s your pick?!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:13 pm

My own... Sonor Designer 14x5, 9mm heavy maple shell in White Pearl. Like a bloody gunshot :) Put a REMO CS X on it recently and the sound is just orgasmic.

Return to “Drumming Chat”