Drum Set Recommendations

Pocketplayer

Re: Drum Set Recommendations

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 pm

This is a great thread! I am totally out of the loop on what is out there today.
Went on craigslist in LA (lots of drums for sale) and saw many Pearl and Tama
ads. There are names I just never heard of like Legion and Empire.

Has the past 10 years seen growth in the drum industry where even the low-end
kits today are superior to higher end kits 20 years ago?

Got to be a drum guru in HOD that can unpack the truth here.

Is an 80's high-end kit still viable today? Better to get a newer mid-level kit?

Love this thread if it takes off with examples.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Most of the improvements in low to mid level kits vs the 80's are in the hardware.. Rims, dicast hoops on some,.. better snare throwoffs, toms legs etc..

The main improvements in higher end stuff is the shell ply design, Like cross laminating or vertical grain stuff.. You'll get more sustain etc.. from certain designs..

Also different wood choices per drum is another thing they do in higher end kits..

Bearing edges are also an important part of the sound you get.. different companies tend to have their favorite type.. Important to pay attention to if you are going for a certain sound.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Well, cheap drums are actually an option these days.

Even my Catalina kit does the job, and if I went over the edges and added some inside paint we'd be close. New hoops would offcourse almost seal the deal, but then they suddenly wouldn't be that cheap anymore.

There are a lot of new smaller companies out there today. Probably some locally if you look around that probably do good stuff.

One new company that seems to gain some momentum and has good prices too is INDe. http://www.indedrum.com/

Have the money and you're into that stuff then there's always Guru. http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/

Offcourse, well known brands like Canopus, Craviotto, Noble & Cooley, Unix, C&C, Ayotte, Sakae... make kits, too.
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Don't spend over $1,000 on a new 4 or 5 piece. Drums these days can be tuned. Use the heads you like best. Your going to sound the same on most kits. We all do. It's all about how you want the drum to sound. You will find a way. If you have an nice touch and know how to hit a drum or cymbal you will sound like a pro.

When Weck came into musicians institute in '94 in Ralph Humphries class he sat at the kit that Owen Goldman tuned he sounded just like Dave freakin Weckl. His touch is supreme and sublime. He made the drums come alive. I will never forget that moment. We all got to ask him questions. Steve Holmes was there also. One question got him to go on the kit and show how to strike the drum and cymbal. My jaw hit the floor. I have seen him up close. But this was different.

Just goes to show. It's not the drum. It's the person hitting it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Kurtis wrote:Just goes to show. It's not the drum. It's the person hitting it.

Pretty much the truth about any instrument. As long as it's at least tunable.

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Kurtis wrote:Don't spend over $1,000 on a new 4 or 5 piece. Drums these days can be tuned. Use the heads you like best. Your going to sound the same on most kits. We all do. It's all about how you want the drum to sound. You will find a way. If you have an nice touch and know how to hit a drum or cymbal you will sound like a pro.

When Weck came into musicians institute in '94 in Ralph Humphries class he sat at the kit that Owen Goldman tuned he sounded just like Dave freakin Weckl. His touch is supreme and sublime. He made the drums come alive. I will never forget that moment. We all got to ask him questions. Steve Holmes was there also. One question got him to go on the kit and show how to strike the drum and cymbal. My jaw hit the floor. I have seen him up close. But this was different.

Just goes to show. It's not the drum. It's the person hitting it.

Bingo !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:52 am

It depends on how far you want to go.. Saying cheaper drums are as good as high end drums is true to a certain extent..

It depends on what you want to use it for.. live.. you'll be fine.. In the studio... You could be fine...

You're chances are better in the studio if you have a high end kit.. You can make a budget or mid line kit sound acceptable live or in the studio.. It depends on if you want it to be amazing or not..
That's where high end kits make life easier. You still need to be able tune and play of course.. In this day and age of drum sample replacement it's less of a big deal. But Keep in mind the drum sample replacement samples are not from cheap kits unless that's the sound they are going for..

It is possible can get an amazing burger at Mcdonalds.. are the odds good?. not really...

Adjust accordingly to where the price point starts..
shuby

Postby shuby » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:42 am

Rodge wrote:Just don't buy any DW or Pearl drums. :-)

why????
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 pm

I think Gretsch should move production to Norway.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Nobody cares what are you playing... You can find and Acrolite for 80 bucks and there´s very little you couldn´t do with it.
Coveted 3 ply Ludwig? Also cheap... The key is the hardware and how well maintained the drums/hardware are. There´s way too many examples to post, but an Stage Custom with fresh heads will do 90% of the time.
btw, there´s plenty of vids of Vinnie playing chinese made Gretsch drums... Think anyone would notice he´s not using his USA Customs?

Now cymbals... Well, that´s another story...

Return to “Drumming Chat”