To rimshot or not to rimshot?

Clint Hopkins

Re: To rimshot or not to rimshot?

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:21 am

Rimshots most of the time. I like to create as much contrast between accents and ghost notes but without lifting my hand too much.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 am

...I should also mention that since I am playing rock, R&B, and basically dance stuff...I usually play with the butt-end in my left hand and rimshot the back beat.

Gives added strength and ballsy pop that is really noticeable if someone else sits-in for a few tunes and plays without the rimshot and uses the tip end.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:18 pm

I would say I use it 90% of the time. There's that 10% of the time that is dictated by the song, the situation or simply my mood at the moment. Either way, depending on what I want it can be anywhere on the drum, stick etc.
willyz

Postby willyz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:21 pm

robhaerr wrote:...I should also mention that since I am playing rock, R&B, and basically dance stuff...I usually play with the butt-end in my left hand and rimshot the back beat.

Gives added strength and ballsy pop that is really noticeable if someone else sits-in for a few tunes and plays without the rimshot and uses the tip end.

Hey Rob, slight side topic... do you miss playing with a bassist?
Got Blushda?
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Rimshot as default but changeable. I have been enjoying the tone of my snares more lately due to a decrease in volume by the rest of the band. Gentle rimshots now work well! I have a lovely Ludwig brass 5" millennium snare that has a bell like tone in the rimshot that I really love.
Steve ferrone played rimshot with the butt end all the time in the studio. He taught me about consistency and I try to keep that up when it's needed. Otherwise I will vary it a bit and make alternate bb different sounds sometimes
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 am

willyz wrote:
robhaerr wrote:Hey Rob, slight side topic... do you miss playing with a bassist?

Hey Willy...

We had a bass player until he moved out of state about 10 years ago. He sang great, played great, great guy and we miss him. We decided not to replace him.

Our keyboard player is playing bass with his left hand. We are tighter than before and not many notice...until they start looking for a bass guitar.

It does make it tough for him, because he sings and can only play keyboard parts with his right hand.

I don't miss a bass player in this band, other than missing the guy we had...still great friends, he was a blast to hang with at gigs and his on-stage personality added to the others nicely. One less person to deal with and divide the cash, though. We have gotten used to not having the extra voice. I am the handicap because I don't sing.

It was, and is fun having him come back and play occasionally...this was a fun moment at a dinner show concert...
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

I used to never play rimshots. Then I started a few years ago. I feel more committed to the groove with nice consistent (which has been a challenge) rimshot backbeats. But as it has been stated already, I try to be discerning about the venue and the song. One thing that comes to mind about playing non-rimshot back beats on the snare; It does not feel as good to me and because it isn't how I practice 99% of the time and it robs a small about of focus because it feels a little awkward now. So I think I will start practicing that more.
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 am

im a fan of rimshots. i feel non rim shots make your beat sound very thin, of course if your playing a soft ballad it probably woudnt be ideal to rimshot. in general when im practicing i rimshot all of the non fill in notes always. the down side is i go through sticks like crazy

Return to “Drumming Chat”