To rimshot or not to rimshot?

deseipel

Re: To rimshot or not to rimshot?

Postby deseipel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 am

wow, surprised. I don't do rimshots much , but sounds like I'm missing the boat? I'd agree that you definitely hear the tone of the drum when doing them.

I've been having regular soreness in my forearms for the past couple years. I've been to doctors, who's basic advice was to lay off for a while, then get some small weights and strengthen up your arms. I've done that and I still get muscle soreness (not bad). I'm beginning to think that it's simply just a result of working the muscles; akin to a soreness after lifting weights. I have no resistance pain, just mild muscle soreness (tennis elbow type of thing). My technique is good afaik. I normally play for an hour a day. I think I need to make a trip to Chicago for some tips.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 am

I used to rimshot all the time back when I was younger. Hell, I was just plain loud, I think. I thought playing like Kenny Aronoff was what everybody wanted and NEEDED, LOL! As I got older and started doing more gigs in varied places (restaurants, jazz gigs, smaller beach bars) I learned to play with more dynamics and different parts of the stick. Sometimes using the tip of the stick toward the edge of the drum for the verse and then switching to the butt end dead center for the chorus and only the only rimshot acting as an accent with a cymbal. Full out rock gigs required rimshots all the time, but that's just what the gig requires. As I've built my studio and messed with recording techniques, I've discovered that I do get a better signal with rimshots but that it's still all about what the song/track call for.
Just be musical. Let your ears tell your hands what to do. Isn't that what Billy Ward said on his first MD fest appearance?
D.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 am

100 % Rimshot
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm

kinkymook wrote:I used to rimshot all the time back when I was younger. Hell, I was just plain loud, I think. I thought playing like Kenny Aronoff was what everybody wanted and NEEDED, LOL! As I got older and started doing more gigs in varied places (restaurants, jazz gigs, smaller beach bars) I learned to play with more dynamics and different parts of the stick. Sometimes using the tip of the stick toward the edge of the drum for the verse and then switching to the butt end dead center for the chorus and only the only rimshot acting as an accent with a cymbal. Full out rock gigs required rimshots all the time, but that's just what the gig requires. As I've built my studio and messed with recording techniques, I've discovered that I do get a better signal with rimshots but that it's still all about what the song/track call for.
Just be musical. Let your ears tell your hands what to do. Isn't that what Billy Ward said on his first MD fest appearance?

I agree -- do what's right for the song and the venue.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Personally, I think rim-shots are overused these days, especially when it comes to pop music. On recordings with acoustic guitar etc, you often hear drummers cracking away in the distance. So much of it lacks dynamics as a result.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:31 pm

I really like rimshots, not only on the snare but on toms also. I always play backbeats with rimshots on rock music. Sometimes when I need less volume and a fatter sound I play on the center of the snare.
To play samba it is vital, I need rimshots, playing close to the edge of the snare to get more overtones, the unaccented notes I play without rimshots.
I got my rimshots from my dad who was a timbale player and some of his ideas I copied to the toms/snare.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 pm

My default is rimshot, but am constantly monitoring if that needs to change depending on the room, fitting in with the band, etc..
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I like playing rimshots at a quieter volume than center hits. That way, I can still do rolls and junk and be heard. I use them for a popping tone, not for volume. There is nothing worse than playing loud rimshots, then doing a snare roll, and having it disappear. But I like playing rimshots as accents for rolls and junk. You don't have to bring the sticks higher to make an accent, just adjust and POW.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:37 am

Rafael Dolinski wrote:I really like rimshots, not only on the snare but on toms also.

Actually, that's something that I think people don't do enough of. Rim shots on toms can sound great. I think there's a James Taylor track (Mexico?) where the drummer does that and it makes the track.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:11 am

Rimshots are my default back beat option, but it's about the room, music, tone, sound you want, etc

If you are experiencing any kind of pain, etc that's a technique issue that is separate from your choice of sounds when playing.

Return to “Drumming Chat”