Paiste reintroduce 602 ( NAMM HOD'ers Trying those out?)

LADanny

Re: Paiste reintroduce 602 ( NAMM HOD'ers Trying those out?)

Postby LADanny » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Rodge wrote:Ridiculous price, but wow, that cymbal sounds AWESOME !!!
Just perfect.

Hey Rodge, contact John DeChristopher and ask him about the brand new ride he sent to Gregg. It was AWESOME! Everyone was commenting on it...even Sabian guys! :o
Rene

Postby Rene » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:Totally, though I think brand loyalty is silly to the point of - just close your eyes and trust your ears. Few people in the world can blind call a cymbal's make, size and manufacturer.

I play cymbals from at least 5 different makers, though most would assume I play only Zildjian. The rest have the logo's buffed off.

Just like most guys are endorsed by a given brand of drums, but if you look close enough, particularly with snares, they use whatever they want.

(first post here)

Totally agree with you.

Take a look at the Ken Scott threat. Sabian endorser Rod Morgenstein hitting only beautiful Paiste cymbals (should post this on the Sabian forum). First thought he switched endorsements but that is not the case.

http://www.recordproduction.com/ken-scott-rod-morgenstein.html
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 am

Rene wrote:Sabian endorser Rod Morgenstein hitting only beautiful Paiste cymbals (should post this on the Sabian forum). First thought he switched endorsements but that is not the case.

The reason Rod is playing Paiste cymbals for Ken is they are trying to recreate the same environment as the original recordings (and Rod used to play and endorse Paiste and Rogers drums). This means using as close as possible equipment to the original. Same drums, same cymbals, same mics, same room size and construction, etc.

That's also why he has Billy using clear Fibes drums.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:$370 bucks for an 18" crash is about 35% higher then A Customs, 20% higher then K Customs.

IMO, if a person was going to drop that kind of cash on cymbals, there's better stuff out there.

If you're going to bust a companie's balls for being so expensive, why no Zildjian? At least Paiste is still hand made rather than just putting a metal disc into a computer controlled machine. Paiste is much more labor intensive to make and that justifies a higher price. The other place where people get confused when comparing Paiste pricing with Zildjian and Sabian is that they often don't compare the lines "apples to apples". When you do that Paiste is just slightly higher and by the time you get to street price of 40%-50% off MSRP it's only a matter a a few dollars.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 am

drumnhands wrote:
YamahaPlayer wrote:$370 bucks for an 18" crash is about 35% higher then A Customs, 20% higher then K Customs.

IMO, if a person was going to drop that kind of cash on cymbals, there's better stuff out there.

If you're going to bust a companie's balls for being so expensive, why no Zildjian? At least Paiste is still hand made rather than just putting a metal disc into a computer controlled machine. Paiste is much more labor intensive to make and that justifies a higher price. The other place where people get confused when comparing Paiste pricing with Zildjian and Sabian is that they often don't compare the lines "apples to apples". When you do that Paiste is just slightly higher and by the time you get to street price of 40%-50% off MSRP it's only a matter a a few dollars.

Um what? No. The prices I compared are straight from the drum shop to buy them. That is the "street" price. The 602's are just incredibly expensive. Check MusiciansFriend, Memphis, etc

Paiste aren't any more hand made then Zildjian. You very obviously don't understand how cymbals are made.

The big 3 companies use almost identical process's in how they hammer and lathe the cymbals. It's the designs in the lathing, hammering and minor differences in the metal's that make the difference. It is possible Paiste is more expensive because they come out of Switzerland and have some tariff's or such.

Check out the various videos on how cymbals are made by the major companies. True hand hammered cymbals are incredibly expensive obviously.

By the way the whole "Re-issue" (often at an inflated price) is a classic marketing ploy, used in almost every industry with great effect. Look at even Yamaha "re-issue" drums this year, etc

$370 bucks for a 18" piece of metal is very expensive, no matter how you cut it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:39 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:By the way the whole "Re-issue" (often at an inflated price) is a classic marketing ploy, used in almost every industry with great effect.

With the 602s, it's not a marketing ploy. They've been trying to create 602s for a while, but were never able to find a suitable, reliable, consistent source for the alloy/discs until recently. Apparently it's of a very high quality.

Personally, price is a factor, but not the deciding factor (although it probably was when I was starting out). If a cymbal really sounds amazing, and doesn't cost an insane amount, I'll buy it.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 pm

DSOP wrote:With the 602s, it's not a marketing ploy. They've been trying to create 602s for a while, but were never able to find a suitable, reliable, consistent source for the alloy/discs until recently. Apparently it's of a very high quality.

Personally, price is a factor, but not the deciding factor (although it probably was when I was starting out). If a cymbal really sounds amazing, and doesn't cost an insane amount, I'll buy it.

Hmm *shrug*

Truth, sound rules over all. For that kinda cash check out UFiP, amazing sounding cymbals.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:check out UFiP, amazing sounding cymbals.

I would LOVE to check out UFIP (being Italian and all...), but hardly anyone stocks them. And if they do, they only stock a tiny selection. For that matter, I'd love to hear a bunch of Meinl cymbals first hand.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

paraflam has risen from the ashes

Return to “Drumming Chat”