WEEKEND CHATTY...FOR YOU

langmick

WEEKEND CHATTY...FOR YOU

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:05 am

Well folks how about looking at the interesting things of.......this week in drumming?

I was bored and searched Rod, Deen, Casey on youtbe...and Neil as well.

We can complain about the music industry, but wow....

This is totally crazy!

Last edited by langmick on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: SUPPER'S READY, IT'S WEEKEND CHATTY WAITING FOR YOU

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:57 am

I came back from my audition yesterday. Woke up got a bit of practicing in before catching the local Norwegian Youth Festival of Art.

The audition went so so... I wish I was better prepared and had played with the band, but all things considered and all the stuff I've shared already I sort of always knew this was a warm-up for the next.

We only got time to play Frog Legs and Freedom.

Frog Legs was ok. I didn't show too much chops though as I didn't gel completely with the bass player. That also made the piano solo section a bit wonky.

Freedom went mostly fine. All the extra improvised linear I threw in was lost on most, but the younger student member of the jury got it. Early morning thoughtlessness made me throw in a 5:2 fill on the 2nd verse wamp that would get even Vinnie fired. :roll: I just play that so often that when I was away for a second it just came out. The look from the singer was pretty much like Paul Simon's guitar player on that "Walking on the Moon" fill. What can you do. What's done is done.

Comments were generally good regarding touch, tone, groove, but there were a few rushed fills and Frog Legs should definelty have been a lot busier

Lesson with Siv was cool. It was offcourse a lot like all first lessons go where we spend most of the time getting to know each other and what exactly these lessons should be about. We went out on on a real meta tanget, which is welcome as I meet few people I can have that kind of talk with. Great drummer and such a sweetheart.

I didn't know that her father was saxophone player Tore Brunborg, but he was playing that night so we went to see him afterwards. Great band. Hilmar Jensson – guitar, Steinar Raknes – bass, Per Oddvar Johansen – drums and Bugge Wesseltoft as guest performer.

As a bonus I lost my phone. :cry:

All in all it's certainly a general inspirational lift. I know what to work on for my next audition. I'm at the point now, as it is with all these jazz drummers and how they practice. It's all about time and then anything tasteful goes. 99% pure musical phrasing and groove based practice. I'll just be working the songs dry, maybe sing the melody, taking full responsibility for every aspect.

Don't know if I get to rehearse much with the musicians at the jazz school, but I think I can probably trust them to be the best band I've played with yet. We're only 6 applicants, one other drummer and four of us will be using the house band. I also get to use my own kit, which is a lot more comfortable.

I'm quite mentally prepared for not getting in yet, but in that case, I'll blow their heads off next year.

Anyway.

Thursday, March 2nd at noon GMT+1.
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Oh YECK yeah on that Streets of SF theme! That was the Joe Porcaro, Emil Richards,
and Marty Paich era. There really needs to be a great documentary on this family
tribe...Porcaro & Paich. Truly ridiculous what these two families produced musically.

Funk Brothers doc was playing and I DVR'd it. The wisdom behind the Motown recordings...
must watch! Getting into Kava. PM me if this interests you...can save you some time.
Great for stress reduction and other...the drink of tribal gods and alcohol replacement.

Speaking of legends, Don Randi is celebrating 80th b-day at the Spud...Wrecking Crew
was the west coast version of the Funk Bros. The last of this generation is all but dying
out.

Hope that Chicago Trib Band works out...was thinking of an Aerosmith TB but got into
too much drama...hard to find a stable lead singer. Would love to get a classic rock
band going, but cover a lot of lesser known tunes on top of the obvious. The key is to
really nail the original sound...it is all about guys/gals that have the same energy towards
the project...which is like finding true love...lot of work and effort if you are doing more
than one show. I take to heart all the Pink Floyd drama you went through over the years
and use that as a template to weed out drama queens. But, you never know...like buying
a used car, the first year she runs great, then starts to break down.

Had an intense So Cal storm...news teams sit on the very worst locations and blow it out of
proportion. When living in TN, this would have just been another storm of the month.
There were difficult areas...one street literally sunk and a car dropped into it...of course,
that was front page in LA Times this morning. Anybody else have a neighbor who works
all the time but never seems to clean the side of their yard leaving you with a view of all their
bottles, cans, and crap? The mess is so obvious, she doesn't see it anymore! Glad she is trying
to save the planet, but come on woman, clean your mess!

Got a used car (daily driver) from a woman retiring. 88k miles, original owner, mechanic
recommended it over craigs "liar" list...wow, that was a learning curve...so many auction cars
on CL now...I have done this before years ago, got an Infinity G20, 53k miles, little old lady
from North Hollywood, PPI, all paperwork and records...3k miles later tranny died and our own
Joe's Mechanic fixed it at cost...super cool dude.

Found some software for making song charts...not something I am good at...come from the
'just give me the CD to learn' school, but really want to speed this process up. Overall, it has been
good to really listen to song format and see patterns.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm

All in all it's certainly a general inspirational lift.

Congrats Odd! Way to go after it!

As to the drama, it's out there, and finding musicians that don't traffic in it is difficult...but pros don't for the most part, but are busy most every weekend gigging. There's the challenge!

If you're gut perks up and gives you that little tap on the shoulder be very wary.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

It is the only option and I'll certinly explain that in the interview.

Phone was just found at the jazz club in Oslo, so a friend will bring it with him on his winter holiday in a couple of days.

It's always the singer, isn't it? Actually, the worst I've had was a 6-piece with the bass player and one of the singers both went nuts a t every show. Band leader was ready to quit and the other singer just got sad. Every freakin' show. Then we had me and the keyboard player who just couldn't relate to the drama at all relaxing and talking super nerdy shit.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Lead singer and bass player getting into the outer realms if appropriate human behavior. Sounds familiar! :)
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Oh that is so good.

langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 pm

We just have a groove goin on...

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Yes!