New Blues, Old Bruise?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

New Blues, Old Bruise?

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 am

The John McLaughlin tune.

So it's in 15/8 somehow, 5/4 shuffle or whatever.

I've was listening to it a lot on the way back home.

The ultimate jazzy freedom that Vinnie shows on it is offcourse what I'm ultimately going for rather than how Gary or Mark play it, but I have to start somewhere.

Really I'm wondering if anyone has sheet music, a loop, has worked on it themselves and who would be a good choice for some skype lessons with some good methodical ideas on how to work on it?
Clint Hopkins

Re: New Blues, Old Bruise?

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

It's in 15/8 if I recall. I would suggest asking Gary Husband on Facebook. (or here if he still comes around.)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 am

Yeah 15/8. I guess John wanted to make a blues with an extra beat. :lol:

It's crazy how much they stretch the time and stay together on the FPB record.

I'm think the form starts on the 1 when the melody starts on the last triplet, I've transcribed the melody, but it doesn't entirely make sense to me when they get to Kenny's solo. There's also that band hit, the last phrase of the first part of the melody, doesn't really add up?

I'm still a bit of my game, so maybe it does?

Yeah. Gary has played both drums and keys on it, so I guess he's the guy to get in touch with. He seems like a guy that could be gracious enough to help out, too. I just sent him a mail.
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 am

Obviously working on my audition material mainly.

Anyway, I've started the process by using playing quarters on the hats and constant shuffle on the BD as a foot ostinato for my warm-up. Good practice either way.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am

In regards of playing odd times, there´s a concept that´s helping me a lot... Click 100bpm 5/4 and going from 5/4 to 5/8 as smooth as possible.

I don´t know if I wanna play in 15 in ANY audition! haha :mrgreen:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:In regards of playing odd times, there´s a concept that´s helping me a lot... Click 100bpm 5/4 and going from 5/4 to 5/8 as smooth as possible.

I don´t know if I wanna play in 15 in ANY audition! haha :mrgreen:

Certainly a good concept. I'll be working on that.

On this though, I guess the triplet feel, but also be comfy up to broken 16ths is key. Seriously tough tempo. Sounds even, but they have to rushing that 5th bar. Makes that phrase sound much more playful.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 am

Always loved that solo !!!
And here what Vinnie said about that song here : http://vinniecolaiuta.com/Interviews/Batteur2012

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 am

Loved the interview, Rodge! :mrgreen:

You stopped playing the L.A. club scene yet for many drummers studying there, it was an occasion to see you play as often as possible...

I stopped as I felt as if I was being "vampirized" by the crowd who always wanted to film me. People may find me mean but they should look at themselves in the mirror and have a little bit more respect with what's happening on stage by being content with just being there without expecting us to feed this present disease which makes me want to throw up sometimes.
:( :( :(
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Loved the interview, Rodge! :mrgreen:

You stopped playing the L.A. club scene yet for many drummers studying there, it was an occasion to see you play as often as possible...

I stopped as I felt as if I was being "vampirized" by the crowd who always wanted to film me. People may find me mean but they should look at themselves in the mirror and have a little bit more respect with what's happening on stage by being content with just being there without expecting us to feed this present disease which makes me want to throw up sometimes.
:( :( :(

Thanks hermano, I had some fun doing it, I hope to do it again soon.

But man, I really feel the same, people don't even ask anymore, they shoot a video in front of your head with no pity, I stopped to play twice last week, I mean really !!! :| :| :|
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 am

I remember all to well people taking the shortcut to their seat at the end of the stage, stepping over, sometimes ON my pedalboard. Good times. :x

Return to “Drumming Chat”