New Blues, Old Bruise?

Paul Marangoni

Re: New Blues, Old Bruise?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Rodge wrote: what Vinnie said about that song here : http://vinniecolaiuta.com/Interviews/Batteur2012

I remember talking to Vinnie about this song right after he had recorded it for the first time (for John's solo record Industrial Zen). Vinnie recorded the drums in his home studio and sent the files to John. He said it was really challenging due to the slow tempo and just like he said in that interview with Rodge, it gave him too much time to "think".
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Rodge wrote: what Vinnie said about that song here : http://vinniecolaiuta.com/Interviews/Batteur2012

I remember talking to Vinnie about this song right after he had recorded it for the first time (for John's solo record Industrial Zen). Vinnie recorded the drums in his home studio and sent the files to John. He said it was really challenging due to the slow tempo and just like he said in that interview with Rodge, it gave him too much time to "think".

Is it possible to ask the man directly? :)
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:41 am

He gets questions and requests for this sort of thing regularly. If he was to take the time to reply to everyone he wouldn't have time for anything else. Although struggling through it isn't fun, it's probably the best way to learn. You'll strengthen your musical skills greatly.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:He gets questions and requests for this sort of thing regularly. If he was to take the time to reply to everyone he wouldn't have time for anything else. Although struggling through it isn't fun, it's probably the best way to learn. You'll strengthen your musical skills greatly.

Another week now and I pretty much have such things to do. You are essentially right, offcourse.

Lucky for him, he's one of the few who can keep doing it the same way and still have enough work.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Maybe you´re thinking this from the wrong end... Are you sure you´re up for the challenge of a song that was "really challenging" for Vinnie?

The most overlooked odd signature is 3/4 imo. Many people try to play in 5, 7 or 9 w/o being able to play in 3. Try trading 4s or 8s in 3/4 and you´ll see is not as easy as it seems.

Maybe think Max before Vinnie. I´d say that The Drum also Waltzes is a way better audition piece than NB, OB... :mrgreen:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:10 am

Challenging because of tempo, sure, who wouldn't? Certainly not an audition piece for me. Certainly not without rehearsals with the band, lots of them, which is not a luxury we have in those situations.

Not special about playing in 5 per see. I do that a lot. Just a structure thing, but I'm sure when I sit down and write it all out it'll make sense.

My audition tunes are "Frog Legs" and that Lashway-version of "Doxy", which really is the same tune, the head is just slightly different with room for more fills. Doubt there will be room for more songs. Only played two at the last one, so... On paper there's 5 mins more both for playing and interview, but that's not really the point. When they've heard enough, they've heard enough.
Gary Husband

Postby Gary Husband » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:23 am

Dear Odd-Arne and all drummer brothers interested,

I just noticed this thread and took this opportunity to let everyone curious know that we (as another of the Track Analysis features of my Gary Husband Videocast Series) are in midst of editing a lengthy production on this actual piece! I’ll chirp in again and let you know when it’s released!

In it (as in the other Track Analysis productions at https://garyhusband.com/pages/videocasts) drummers will have the opportunity to download my cover of the track, get a drum guide (and accompanying click track) and play your own kit to it yourself. I do a thorough talk through of counting through the structure of the song which gives a total insight of how, when and where everything is placed.

There’ll be additional video containing spoken insight from John McLaughlin’s 4th Dimension’s phenomenal drummer Ranjit Barot (who has performed this song with us since 2011) and even John himself.

So between us, you’ll get everything you need or are wishing to know.

Warmest regards to all,

Gary H

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:The John McLaughlin tune.

So it's in 15/8 somehow, 5/4 shuffle or whatever.

I've was listening to it a lot on the way back home.

The ultimate jazzy freedom that Vinnie shows on it is offcourse what I'm ultimately going for rather than how Gary or Mark play it, but I have to start somewhere.

Really I'm wondering if anyone has sheet music, a loop, has worked on it themselves and who would be a good choice for some skype lessons with some good methodical ideas on how to work on it?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:37 am

Gary Husband wrote:Dear Odd-Arne and all drummer brothers interested,

I just noticed this thread and took this opportunity to let everyone curious know that we (as another of the Track Analysis features of my Gary Husband Videocast Series) are in midst of editing a lengthy production on this actual piece! I’ll chirp in again and let you know when it’s released!

In it (as in the other Track Analysis productions at https://garyhusband.com/pages/videocasts) drummers will have the opportunity to download my cover of the track, get a drum guide (and accompanying click track) and play your own kit to it yourself. I do a thorough talk through of counting through the structure of the song which gives a total insight of how, when and where everything is placed.

There’ll be additional video containing spoken insight from John McLaughlin’s 4th Dimension’s phenomenal drummer Ranjit Barot (who has performed this song with us since 2011) and even John himself.

Warmest regards to all,

Gary H

The ultimate jazzy freedom that Vinnie shows on it is offcourse what I'm ultimately going for rather than how Gary or Mark play it, but I have to start somewhere.

Really I'm wondering if anyone has sheet music, a loop, has worked on it themselves and who would be a good choice for some skype lessons with some good methodical ideas on how to work on it?

Yeah, it's a while ago. I even tried contacting you on fb.

I'll check it out.
Gary Husband

Postby Gary Husband » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
Gary Husband wrote:Dear Odd-Arne and all drummer brothers interested,

Warmest regards to all,

Gary H

Yeah, it's a while ago. I even tried contacting you on fb.

I'll check it out.

Yes, as I explained it’s not quite ready but will be soon and then released soon after.
You’ll need to check page at garyhusband.com should you want to obtain it.
It runs at 1 hour 15 minutes, it’s been a lot of work and will serve as being the only in-depth qualified analysis I can find anywhere on the composition. Plus the drummer gets to download my version, gets a chart and will be able to perform it him or herself.

Yes I see and noted that it was a post from a while ago. Nevertheless, there was interest so I thought to notify.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:48 am

Thanks for chiming in Gary !!!
Can't wait to hear what's you've done with "New Blues, Old Bruise", that song is really deep.
Loved what you did with your song "City Night", yeah.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”