NAMM

Lorenzini

NAMM

Postby Lorenzini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I will be at the show all day Friday and would love to see some HOD Brotheren....
LADanny

Re: NAMM

Postby LADanny » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 pm

I will be there Thursday afternoon, and most of Saturday.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

any cool new stuff this year? miss ya dudes!
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:15 pm

is this on display at NAMM?
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Didn't stop by the Gretch booth. Looked at a bunch of other stuff. Some Turkish cymbal company called "Soultone" had some really nice sounding cymbals in some clever configurations. Jojo’s Omni cymbals were on display at Sabian. DW had the new Neil Peart kit on display which was really beautiful; even the custom made stage was beautiful. Some new smaller drum companies were there this year.

A highlight for me was checking out the new Yamaha gear. This year Yamaha drums were back at the Marriot Hotel across the street from the Anaheim convention center. Sonny Emory was hanging out and it was nice talking to him for a bit. Yamaha’s Jim Haler, a friend from my Navy musician days gave us a tour of the new gear. Actually, the first of the "new" stuff that he showed us was a reissue of the original Recording Custom drums in the original format; no YESS mounts, 60 degrees rolled over bearing edge, etc. I understand this was the configuration used during most of the 80’s. Yamaha is manufacturing 15 of these in white, 15 in mellow yellow and 15 in a red (if I remember correctly). They had the yellow kit on the floor. The NAMM participants were encouraged to play on the kits, which was very cool! The yellow RCs sounded great of course with that nice focused full sound with great attack and great low end. The kick had a clear PS3 and the Yamaha resonant head (no muffling and no large hole in the center). The kick sounded really punchy and deep with nice attack.

Jim also showed us the new Club Custom drums which I understand are made out of Kapuur (a very hard wood from the mahogany family also used in the PHX drums). The Club Custom drums also had the 60 degree rolled over bearing edges and were very punchy and full sounding. These drums were reminiscent of the drums I remember from the 70’s but on steroids. I was really impressed with how well the sound carried with these drums. Even when I was walking out of the room and down the hall you could hear a really nice low end coming through. (check out http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... oed-359139) (also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTR688ndrk)

Yamaha also had a real nice display with a white PHX kit situated next to an 18” sub woofer and a typical horn and 15” speaker configuration. There was a Shure Beta 52 mic in and a contact tigger positioned on the batter head towards the bottom. This was used with the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 to trigger the 808 kick sound. Dave Jewell from Yamaha demoed the sound acoustically, with the B52 alone, with the subkick alone, with the 808 sound alone and then he mixed all three. That was most likely the most amazing kick sound I’ve ever heard. When he buried the beater into the head the 808 was predominate and when the beater was played off of the head the 808 was less dominate.

On Saturday, I attended the award ceremony for Freddie Gruber at the Zildjian booth. Steve Smith, Marvin Smith, Jim Keltner, Jeff Hamilton, Clayton Cameron, Don Lombardi, were in the large crowd. A bunch of the guys spoke about Freddies teaching and influence in their lives. They gave Freddie a real nice plaque. It was a very cool event with lots of great Freddie stories.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm

NAMM Jam:

Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Andy, thanks so much for the links and the report! totally dug the new stuff from YAMAHA. looks like they're really back in the game w/ some great innovative ideas. i especially love the fact that they have the 600 hardware pre-pack and the stage custom 'jazz' pre pack. they're really thinking about the weekend drummer :)
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey Chooch, you're welcome! Hopefully we'll see you at NAMM next year!
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Andy Vermiglio wrote:Hey Chooch, you're welcome! Hopefully we'll see you at NAMM next year!

yes sir, will do my best next year :)
Steven Orkin

Postby Steven Orkin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Here is a photo album from NAMM and the Guitar Center in Drum Off. What a treat being sunny California for a week!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=270452&id=721886902&l=ead0006b21

Return to “Drumming Chat”