When drummers change

JonasR

When drummers change

Postby JonasR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 am

Hi guys. The other day I was listening to various Steve Jordan recordings. I was trying to identify any resemblance between how he played earlier (eg. with with The Blues Brothers) and how he plays on recent recordings (like on the Mayer stuff). It's truly amazing to me that it's the same drummer.
I know Vinnie does a Joni Mitchell session for breakfast and a Megadeth album in the afternoon, but being a chameleon is sort of his thing. I'm talking about drummers who have made a conscious (or nonconscious) decision to completely change.
I'm curious if any of you know of other big league drummers that have completely changed their voice and style over the years? (I don't mean to start a thread about 'good' style versus 'bad')
Rodge

Re: When drummers change

Postby Rodge » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:14 am

Yeah Vinnie plays the same, I mean in the same spirit, the difference is just the same as when we are teen and adult.

As for Steve Jordan, I've been told that he changed his drumming for having more work, he used to play busy, hard to believe uh... :-)

During the interview with our Steve, Dave DiCenso said that his thinking was different, he was not looking to be that chopsy anymore, but when you had so many chops, they are still around, so I'm glad he's still throwing huge fill when he feels it. :-)

Weckl's drumming is way more agressive now than during the 80's, but he's still sound like himself.

Steve Smith changed his drumming ?
Or he just aged ?
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 am

Toss Panos is a drummer that comes to mind on this subject. He's way greasier, more NOLA-influenced now than early on. Based on his I'd Hit That interview, it was a decision based on how he wanted to sound... the feeling he wanted to communicate with his playing.
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am

Steve smith, dave and Neil Peart all changed. They all have played with more attitude. I think freddy gruber had huge influence, but not for the better....
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:36 am

It is called time. In your life you learn things and come to realizations regarding what you do. It's evolution of musical thought.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 pm

How about Tony and Elvin? Think Someday My Prince Will Come and Four and More compared to Speak No Evil and Million Dollar Legs...

Jordan is known for his atomic whack on the snare, but for me he has a signature BD sound. On that BB records you can hear that classic Jordan BD sound.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”