Vinnie with Dom . . .

beat hit

Re: Vinnie with Dom . . .

Postby beat hit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 am

HODers shouldn’t be apathetic on this topic. We should rather rally behind Vinnie’s determination to fight this cancer!! I commend him for taking the lead on this very very relevant situation.

Hey Jeppe, please tell me. Beside the "nonsense" moment you're referring to, is there anything positive at all that caught your attention?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am

Morgenthaler wrote:
Shit all over it? How on earth did you make that leap?

Out of an interview that lasts over 45 minutes, in which Vinnie decries the state of the music industry, you decide to comment on the one thing that you found incredulous, which was when Vinnie mentioned the incredible coincidence of consciously thinking that it would be great to get a live gig with Sting or Gabriel, and then having it happen. To me, that is called shitting all over it. What we need to do is rally around the idea that change needs to happen, and it needs to happen very soon. As for Vinnie being in tune with the Universe and how that all works, that is a whole separate topic that is up for grabs.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:40 am

Hey beat hit and Paul Marangoni,

First of all, make no mistake, as a drummer I have nothing but the utmost respect and appreciation of Vinnie's work.
I don't think I know of any other drummer with a higher general standard of excellence and versatility.

Secondly, in an interview about the general state of the union for musical artists, I will pick out any relevant comment
and dissect them in accordance with my understanding. You don't get to choose what's important to me.

I am fully aware of the pains of recording artists and the diminishing of royalties and general income that the digitisation of
the industry has led to. Do I think that legislation against technology is the way forward? NO.

Do I think that putting your money where your mouth is, would be demanding more respect? Absolutely.
If Vinnie is as fed up as he wants us to believe in that interview, it makes no sense that he keeps supporting that model by
playing on recordings that are shared digitally through streaming services.

While I recognise that Neil Young had very little success with his pono project, I do hold him in the highest regard for trying
to actively do something about the quality of digital musical consumption.

An even better example is Patreon, a concept founded by Jack Conte, one of my favourite contemporary artists.
With Patreon, I get to financially back artists (I currently back 3) on an ongoing basis. I simply contribute to their everyday well-being by sending them
small amounts of money every month.

I backed both of those projects economically because they are searching for ways to change a poor state of affairs and lead the way in a specific area.
I would likely do the same if Vinnie (or anyone else) came up with a viable idea for getting money directly back into the hands of recording artists.

But I have little appreciation for moaning; especially when coming from possibly the most saught after and well-paid drummer alive.
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:55 am

LOL...HOD-ers off to the races!

Say what you will about Vinnie and Sting/Gabriel but he is rock solid
consistent about this story...old news...I don't recall him saying he
just "sent it up to the universe"...he simply stated if he was going
to leave LA and his session work, it would have to be for Sting or
Gabriel...and that happened! How it happened? Who cares...

LA Roundtable session cats were a VERY small clique in late 80's
...and leaving that took a lot of courage...Vinnie or Jeff or...
they feared once they didn't answer the phone they would lose
all their street cred and be replaced...same in Nashville with
Paul Leim. Just the way it was...

Imo, people need to "shut up" and listen to VC...if his creds don't
cause one to pause and listen, then one simply does not respect
wisdom. Paul is VERY passionate about this subject and I respect
his views...one cannot argue there has been a HUGE paradigm shift
for those over 40 and those under in terms of Internet and FREE,
the MASSIVE loss of record labels, the use of technology to replace
actual musicians, etc...

If you or I worked our ARSE off just to get a session, recorded tracks
based on all our hard work, effort, and creativity...then got paid
knowing when we walk out of studio that "record" might sell a million
copies or 20k...then see people download your effort for free...well,
it creates a mental imprint...now if you grew up with FREE then
forget it...you think this is NORMAL. Torrent files have killed
DVD releases...it is this simple, back in the day you BOUGHT a record
and made a cassette tape and shared it with 1-3 friends...today you
share it with millions. End of story, end of revenue stream.

Vinnie should be pissed off! Catch the Richard Marx interview...
he says the same! VC did NOT rant and rave....he was very
humble and intelligent and told the truth...for those who have ears to hear!

Now back to James Comey...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:I don't recall him saying he
just "sent it up to the universe"

He said it twice, for those who have ears to hear ;)

Go to 24:46 (talking about intent) "You put it out in the universe and it's amazing.
I'll give you an example. I was doing a lot of sessions and I thought You know, this
is really good but I need to do something else now; I need to go out and play live again,
but it really would have to be something like Sting or Peter Gabriel
- I literally thought that - and
put that out in the universe, maybe even verbally - a few months later, I get this phone call" [...]

You know what, I call absolute BS on that.

Pocketplayer wrote:VC did NOT rant and rave....he was very humble and intelligent and told the truth.

Well, with the transcript of his exact words as documented above, I simply beg to differ.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:

Go to 24:46 (talking about intent) "You put it out in the universe and it's amazing.
I'll give you an example. I was doing a lot of sessions and I thought You know, this
is really good but I need to do something else now; I need to go out and play live again,
put that out in the universe, maybe even verbally - a few months later, I get this phone call" [...]

Pocketplayer wrote:VC did NOT rant and rave....he was very humble and intelligent and told the truth.

Well, with the transcript of his exact words as documented above, I simply beg to differ.

The scientific community argued that the earth was flat; the limitations of pedantic theorists who claim to follow 'science' are well known.

Einstein on telepathy:

I HAVE READ THE BOOK of Upton Sinclair with great interest and am convinced that the same deserves the most earnest consideration, not only of the laity,
but also of the psychologists by profession. The results of the telepathic experiments carefully and plainly set forth in this book stand surely far beyond
those which a nature investigator holds to be thinkable.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:10 pm

I'll just send my remaining points telepathically, then.

(I'll leave this thread now and return for Vinnie on drums, one of my favourite topics)
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:56 pm

No need to be condescending.
I´ll just say that if you talk to a man of science -not an "internet geek"-, he/she´ll be full of doubts, not certainties. If you´re so sure about how everything works, what´s possible and what´s impossible, then you should look into religion, not science.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:

Seems Vinnie was speaking metaphorically. Vinnie is also a fan of Jesus. He's a spiritual cat. Maybe those feelings/emotions he spoke to the universe in his own way. Wishful thinking.

Be nice if the interview was like something Steven mentioned. Spin some records and talk about them. It would have been more entertaining hearing Vinnie and Dom just shooting the shit talking shop and such.

The climate of the music industry soap box rant is buzz kill. We all get it. Nothing new to chit chat about.

Return to “Drumming Chat”