Question for U.K. guys re tuition

chrishitsthings

Question for U.K. guys re tuition

Postby chrishitsthings » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey everyone sorry in advance I seem to only log in to ask questions! I got some feedback from bored at work I believe last time re Ian Palmer being a guy who studied with Morello who I'm gonna get in touch with soon, but I was wondering if there's someone preferably in the South who studied with Gruber and now that Bob Armstrong has passed away who'd be the go to guy to learn brush technique with? Thanks!
Rudy_Ment

Re: Question for U.K. guys re tuition

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Ian Palmer is one of those super talented freaks. Not only a great drummer but he's an airline pilot too.

I think Ralph Salmins is south. Whether he teaches privately much though I don't know. There's Dave Hassell who people often mentioned in the same breath as Bob Armstrong, but I think he's up in Manchester. Maybe Neal Wilkinson as another possibility. Also, as this 'mostly' has US members who are pretty much clueless about anyone in the UK other than Gavin and Ash Soan :D, Mike Dolbear's forum would be your best bet. He personally knows every drummer on the scene and could probably put you in touch with someone.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 pm

I know Louie Palmer teach lesson in UK when he´s around... That would be one my first choices... :mrgreen:
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 am

The only UK guys I know are these guys.. :D

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 am

There's always this guy.

To answer your question.

Allan Cox
Colin Woolway
Simon Mellish

There's tons.

Level? Location?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Look up Steve White and Peter Cater. I emailed with Steve a while back and he gives lessons in London's Eltham area. Cater is more specifically jazz, White is an all-round session guy. Both are great, but not sure if Cater gives lessons.

Saw them both here live, back in 2015 and Steve Gadd was a special guest there (hence the Piano Black Yamaha onstage). Ian Palmer was also there. All three played a piece together, taking turns playing solos. I was there with my friend who is a formally trained, non-drumming musician and we both said that while Palmer played great technically, White had that + his solo was far more structured and told a more coherent story.

percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Steve White is massively overrated in my opinion, never been impressed by his predictable use of rudiments or his groove unfortunately.
There's a London drummer called Mark Fletcher who is highly passionate about brush playing, check him out.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am

Hi
Sorry for the late reply, I've been locked out of my account for ages.
Its worth looking up Mark Fletcher, he's a great all round player, but he loves brushes and is well up on his traditional side of playing.

I think that Steve White will be the natural successor to Bob Armstrong, in terms of technique, but also look out for Pete Riley too and Dave Hassel is in Manchester.

Return to “Drumming Chat”