Home recording

chris perra

Re: Home recording

Postby chris perra » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm

It's not ideal in a kitchen but try and get some absorbtive stuff on the walls. 2 blankets hanging from 2 coat racks.. or whatever you can do.

If you clean the room sound up your setup will sound totally useable.. Right now it's good but a bit washed out..

Adding extra mics etc won't help it will just add to the wash and depedning on the sound you go for..in most cases the overheads are a big part of the vibe of a kit..
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 pm

chris perra wrote:It's not ideal in a kitchen but try and get some absorbtive stuff on the walls. 2 blankets hanging from 2 coat racks.. or whatever you can do.

If you clean the room sound up your setup will sound totally useable.. Right now it's good but a bit washed out..

Adding extra mics etc won't help it will just add to the wash and depedning on the sound you go for..in most cases the overheads are a big part of the vibe of a kit..

Yeah, it is washed out, I definitely could try blankets in there. You say more mics won't help, and you might be right. I feel that close micing the toms would give clarity and presence though. The 57 seems to help make the snare sound closer. When I tried without it and just used the built in mics of the Q8, the snare sounded like it was at the back of the room.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Extra mics will help give to control to focus individual drums.. but you will still have a washed out set of overheads.. better to clean up the room then add other mics and extras..
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Very good points Chris. I'm going to get hold of some thick blankets and something to hang them on. By the way, I've changed the video on previous page. I turned on the compression and it seems to be ok this time. It's slightly changed the sound of the snare. Note to self: must learn not to rush fills!
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm

"Note to self: must learn not to rush fills!"

Don't play any! :)
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

langmick wrote:"Note to self: must learn not to rush fills!"

Don't play any! :)

Thank you for your amazingly positive thoughts.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:56 am

It's one of the ways to get a handle on timing and fills. Start from scratch.

Return to “Drumming Chat”