Yamaha EAD10

thewikiman

Re: Yamaha EAD10

Postby thewikiman » Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 am

Yesterday I had my first proper go with this. It is pretty extraordinary.

For me, the various different 'scenes' don't hold much interest - no one wants to hear drums through a flanger. I just want to use it to record and video my drums quickly and easily - I can't get over how good the recording quality is, from that one mic (or mics within one box). The drums simply sound like they're close mic'd drums. As Paul says you have to watch the positioning, but basically it's like witch-craft.

The compression and reverb effects work really nicely. The app from which you make videos is easy to use and good - you can edit the mix after your recording to change the volume balance between the drums and the music you're playing along to (or the band you're playing with, if you can stick an output from the PA into the Aux on the EAD10, allowing you to make band videos with a close-mic'd drum sound, all from the one simple unit). It can also add a click in your ears, to your music, which it then takes out for the recording - it's a bit hit and miss but a useful feature. It gives you a count-in, and it also allows you to delay this - so if you need 10 seconds to get from wherever your phone is recording from, to your drums, that's fine.

When you want to change snare or change setups, you don't have to move or re-mic anything. You can very quickly record takes of songs (just audio if you wish). You could easily run a line-out to the PA in a small venue and have consistently good drum sound rather than being at the mercy of the mics.

It's really, really good.
____
Ned
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 am

thewikiman wrote: you can stick an output from the PA into the Aux on the EAD10, allowing you to make band videos with a close-mic'd drum sound, all from the one simple unit

I'm pretty sure that is not possible. The Rec 'n' Share app can only use audio from the EAD10 when recording videos. I tried playing along with music which was coming into the auxiliary input, and the video didn't get any of it.

thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 am

Ah right, thanks Paul - this was something drumnhands mentioned (I think on drummerworld forum) but maybe I misinterpreted how you do this...
____
Ned
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 am

thewikiman wrote:Ah right, thanks Paul - this was something drumnhands mentioned (I think on drummerworld forum) but maybe I misinterpreted how you do this...

If you figure something out, let me know.

Return to “Drumming Chat”