HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Paul Marangoni

Re: HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:My china is an old 20" Wuhan, hardly ever used

I had a 24" Wuhan China many years ago. Man, that thing was massive and totally swallowed up all sonic frequencies!

I love Earth Wind & Fire, and that is a great song. Lots of fun! Nice playing, and nice sounding drums.

Why don't you use a small Yamaha boom to mount your splash from the tom mount instead of that clamped boom? Another thing I noticed is that your ride cymbal seems very close, causing your right arm to bend into your side. If you're comfortable, carry on, but it might be something to think about.

I know you have a lot of experience with those Roland electronic drums. Have you ever tried the Yamaha DTX stuff? I just ordered a small set for practice at home. Hopefully they work out and I don't end up selling them in six months.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks Paul. I'm still amazed I've been able to get a decent sound in my kitchen, but I've ghetto treated it with some soft furnishings and dried up the horrible harsh wall reflections somewhat. Hah, yeah, I know how loud my china is so I can imagine what a beast your 24" was! :o

Yeah, it's a great song, I always liked it. I used to have my splash on my Yamaha boom in the tom mount, I need to start using it again. You're absolutely right about the ride cymbal position. That's normally where my second ride goes but usually further away on gigs. I don't normally have it that close but, and you can't see it from the video, there's no room in my kitchen to push it further away so for the sake of recording I've placed it close and yes, it's awkward for my arm and hand! And my main ride is normally where the china but I fancied having it more in view.

I've only ever tried the older and basic DTX Express and Explorer electric kits in the past, with rubber pads; they were ok. You'll be fine with whichever model you bought but obviously a better feel if you went for mesh heads? I'ved detuned my mesh heads quite a bit so they aren't overly bouncy. I've played around on an all bells and whistles Alesis kit with black mesh heads but it seemed to have a slight latency issue or perhaps it needed setting up better. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've played yours, what's the ETA for your delivery? They're definitely great for practise as well as a bit of fun, but as you know, it's a whole different ball game on acoustic. Things that come easy on electric aren't necessarily transferrable to acoustic, nevertheless, I'll never sell mine, it's a great tool.

I've just recorded over a drumless gospel song that I like. Quite fun. Man this recording lark is hard though. You get everything right and then a fill or a stroke or two that's not right. You re-record and get those bits right but then something you nailed earlier is shit this time around, lol. It gives me so much respect for the guys, yourself included Paul, that can nail every single stroke so precisely and in only one or two takes. It's a great mirror to improve from though.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

D.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:59 am

About the clip above-
3 years ago, here in northern Colorado, a prominent local drummer, Tim Elliot, was in a country band that was involved with a fundraiser/appearance/performance to benefit St. Jude Hospital. Tim was so moved by the experience and the plight of those kids that he decided to do something about it. DRUMMING UP HOPE was founded not long after, with the intent of raising money through an annual Memorial Day Drum-a-thon.
So, for the last three years, over that holiday weekend, drummers from all over Colorado have signed up for an hour slot to do what they want (free solo, play to tracks) while taking donations and being “sponsored” by friends and family.
This year we went 81hrs and 20mins to break the Guinness World record for “Continuous Group Drumming”, and at last count have raised over 12K for St. Jude.
This clip is just 12 mins of my hour slot last Thurs. I always choose to solo/groove during my time, rather than play to tracks as I’m so busy playing grooves with the bands and work I do, I’d rather have that whole hour to let loose. I don’t get to do that often enough.
This year we had a host of great sponsors-Zildjian, Rich Sticks, Pepsi, and many others. Local radio was on it along with local, Denver tv news, and we’re getting a blurb in Modern Drummer as well as a spot on Zildjian website.
It’s truly a wonderful organization doing a great thing, year after year.
If you’d like to get involved, go to www.drumminguphopefoundation.org to check it out.
More video of my slot can be found on YouTube and my Facebook wall.
Cheers, guys!
D.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Sammy J killing it on a a great tune. Ya'll need to own this 3rd Matinee album. Toy Matinee is also must listen. Kevin Gilbert is a musical genius songwriter that died way to soon. Richard Page took Kevin's place.

Sammy you played beautifully on this track! Glad you put this out for all to see. MOAR!
kaide

Postby kaide » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Here's my new drum cover of Coffee Break by Dirty Loops singer Jonah Nilsson. I heard this song a few days ago, transcribed drum part and played it few times. Usually it's a longer process but this came pretty quick, it was finished 24 hours later after first hearing the song. Check it out and leave a comment for the video if you liked it :)

kaide

Postby kaide » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 am

Here's my Chaka Khan - Steve Ferrone cover (I posted this to Weekend Chatty but it was deleted right away...)

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:40 am

At NAMM, way off in the corner there's this new drum machine...
really cool product...just allow it to listen to a song, it transcribes
the drum part, then tunes your drums to sound exactly like the studio
recording, and will reproduce the song at perfect tempo. For an
extra few bucks you can get a robot to sit behind your kit and it
mimics a drummer.

Oh...it's called The Kai!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Great job Kaide!!
I don´t like those tunes much (the original compositions I mean), but I´ve listened to your covers.
What I feel, and more every day, is that the HiHat is that forgotten weapon/friend, that well arranged gives the song a very big plus (phrasing, dinamics, broken lines...but without breaking the flow of BD/SD). I try to give it importance in my practice time since many years and it helps MUCH.
And the HH is crucial on those two songs you played.
Great sir !!
kaide

Postby kaide » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm

That was funny Pocketplayer :) And Thanks Juan! I also feel that you can do so much with hihat accents to make your (or my) grooves more interesting. Of course not every song needs hihat accents but this groovy/disco stuff needs some spicing because the kick and snare stay pretty much same all the time.

Return to “Drumming Chat”