HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Merrill Conn

Re: HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Postby Merrill Conn » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:05 pm

First a little rant. With the wealth of talent here at HOD, why are not more performance videos being posted? The few that are here are pretty impressive. I understand that there wasn’t any real playing for the past year. But…how about before then? I mean c’mon…I found PLENTY of really good stuff by the folks here from earlier times. Okay…so I’m going to try to rectify that as best I can.

I’m not going to post any of videos of my playing because:
1) I don’t have any video equipment, nor do I have any desire to get any
2) At this point I’m pretty much a “paddist”. To be honest, I’m not planning on playing out again until maybe 2022. Besides…NOBODY wants to see/hear me play Wrist Twisters, Gaddiments, Delecluse, Pratt or Wilcoxon on a practice pad. Even I don’t want to see/hear it (even though I do record the stuff on my phone so I can hear how I’m doing…thankfully there’s a delete button).

With all due respect to guys like Kaide and Juan who do terrific covers and demos, I’m only going to post performance videos because I feel that’s where the real “magic” is…playing with other musicians live.

First up is Steve with Altered at the Baked Potato. This is one of my favorite cuts by them. So well-rehearsed while still keeping it fresh. Steve’s playing is awesome throughout. He floors me at 3:47. How TONY can you get!!!

Enjoy…more to come as I get the time (unless you folks beat me to it).
When in doubt...roll.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Nice, damn, you killed that solo Holmes !!! :o
I don't know if it's fair to compare, but I really prefer the sound of your RC compare to the PHX. :o
Great post Merrill.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Here's Paul from 2012...doing my favorite tune from Michael Brecker's "Tales from the Hudson" album. In one of his first posts in this thread Paul complained about what he perceived as lack of intensity. Well Paul...this one should take care of that complaint. You sound really fine on this...some really tasteful playing. This is what live playing is all about. But...where's the sort of drum cadenza at the end like Jack D played on the album? I feel cheated. As an aside...what no sax player? I know from other vids you guys have one. Was this video before your band got one?
Last edited by Merrill Conn on Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt...roll.
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 pm

Rodge.

In a word: you-gotta-be-kidding-me (OK...so it's a made-up word...I'm still using it). Absolutely brain-melting playing!!!
The secret is out...we now know who Vinnie gets his ideas from :)
When in doubt...roll.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 am

Yes indeed, Don Vincenzo picked my brain... :-)
Thanks for posting this clip, I'm tired just by watching me playing so much shit..
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanks for the mention - Paul, Tales is one of my all time favorite recordings and that tune kills. I'm always hard pressed to describe the groove Jack plays in that tune - what is it exactly? It's so....Jack - and when anyone else plays it it sounds a bit more solid and on the grid. His playing is so "jazzy" on there and yet it's a "backbeat" tune. I can "air sax" the FU** out of that tune and Midnight Voyage!!!
I miss playing with folks.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Paul, Tales is one of my all time favorite recordings and that tune kills.

That's a great record, but the first recording of Song For Bilbao was on the record Travels, by the Pat Metheny Group, and that was the version we were emulating (although our guitarist didn't have a guitar synth).

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:25 pm

You sounded great with your band Paul !!!

And Jack man, the way he plays straight music, there is always this kind of elasticity in his groove, so relax, and in a way always swinging, he's unique.
It was his birthday yesterday ?
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:21 pm

Looking for some critical feedback. My attempt to play 1/2 note triplet ideas to Cute.
sturla

Postby sturla » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:25 am

I did another Nik Kershaw tune recently. Simon Phillips originally played this one.

Return to “Drumming Chat”