Alex Acuna on Chick Corea's Touchstone

beat hit

Alex Acuna on Chick Corea's Touchstone

Postby beat hit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

This is a follow-up to the recent Robbie Ameen thread... http://www.houseofdrumming.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237

So as Tombo was saying in the thread... Alex absolutely kills on Dance Of Chance!! Love Don Alias' strong support too...

This was my first Chick Corea album...

And here's the proper Kim Plainfield quote from his Advanced Concept method I referred to: "... I recommend Chick Corea's album Touchstone. Alex Acuna's performance is, in my opinion, one of the best 6/8's on drumset recorded to date."

Warning... Gayle Moran sings on some tunes!!! :|
Last edited by beat hit on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristaples

Re: Alex Acuna on Chick Corea's Touchstone

Postby cristaples » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:51 am

Nice, thats one for my ipod then!!
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Another good one in 6/8 is Ouverture #5 by Uzeb and violinist Didier Lockwood on '86 Absolutely Live:

Weckl is quite good at 6/8 too. Check out Afrique, Access Denied or Steve Khan's Moma Chola (not all pure 6/8 but some of the feel).

P.S.: I'm glad Chick stopped plugging his wife on vocals. Couldn't stand it.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:Another good one in 6/8 is Ouverture #5 by Uzeb and violinist Didier Lockwood on '86 Absolutely Live:

Yes nice souvenir! Got that on LP... To me, Didier Lockwood's style really complemented UZEB's music really, really well. I remember seeing this tune Live. They actually opened the show with Ouverture #5, without Didier Lockwood though... Paul was a brand new Yamaha endorsee at the time.

What's interesting is that Didier Lockwood's band opened for the Absolutely Live concert and Kim Plainfield was on drums.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/live-a ... d154367418

Return to “Drumming Chat”