Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

jean krupa wrote:I have photos of all the USA Custom sets, plus the Turquoise Glass BroadKasters and would like to
include them but I don't see an attachment icon.

You have to us an image hosting service like https://imgur.com/ or similar. I used to use Photobucket, but they're not free anymore. After you load up a picture there will be links for all kinds of uses. BBCode is for message boards.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:52 am

Sort of getting there.

Still undecided onn color and if or not suspension on the full USA Customs. 99% sure on a solid color. White, black, blue or yellow.

On the small Broadkaster it stands between:

Natural Satin

Yellow Antique Pearl

White Marine Pearl

Black

Ok, the Gold Sparkle is cool, too.

Probably get that first as I can buy that cash in a few months. Christmas present to self, basically. Was going to get a loan, but I guess I really want my case to be done with first and it's just barely getting started. In the US these narcissism/PTSD cases seem to end up with tens of millions of dollars and sometimes substantial jailtime, but generally speaking neither punishment nor compensation is on that level in Norway. Not even close. At least the level of local corruption is clear as day to anyone willing to really look.

In any case. That's what my main future kits will be.

Never really been a burst guy. Not even on guitars. Just not my thing.

Vintage hardware looks cool and all, but might not be the smartest choice.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Broadkaster snare ordered in England recently (lugs installed incorrectly):

Replacement for above (lugs installed incorrectly and different length tension rods top and bottom):

Not sure I would risk it.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Rosewood gloss (is that what is called?) is my all time Gretsch fav finish...

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Broadkaster snare ordered in England recently (lugs installed incorrectly):

Replacement for above (lugs installed incorrectly and different length tension rods top and bottom):

Not sure I would risk it.

Oooops. Thought they were done with stuff like that. Fred's getting lazy'n'greedy.

In any case, it's an obvious warranty thing.

Only drums I really want is that small Broadkaster kit and full USA shell pack. Well, almost full.

Orders will be through the main drum store in Oslo. I think they'll take care of me. I'll go pick them up personally and inspect before bringing them home.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:

Right. You wait four or five months and receive that. Then you send it in for warranty replacement and get another one just as bad (or worse).
At that point I would expect heads to roll, a full refund, and a perfect drum sent overnight by courier.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:44 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:

Right. You wait four or five months and receive that. Then you send it in for warranty replacement and get another one just as bad (or worse).
At that point I would expect heads to roll, a full refund, and a perfect drum sent overnight by courier.

I could get a 12,14,18 from Thomann pretty quickly. They have the Antique Pearl in stock. It sort of looks like they're discontinuing the finish, but when I wrote Thomann, probably about 6 months ago, they said add ons should be no problem. I dunno.

Not sure if I want a snare. Not that there can't be issues with the other drums.

I understand you're not a fan of Gretsch QC or their hardware, it's just how you get that sound. I've never really wanted any other drums. I don't care and it shouldn't be that way, but it also brings a bit of credibility in certain environments.

It will be about 3 months, so there's always possible I changen my mind and get the USAs, or half of them, first. Never got to my bank as I had the flu, but I'll have a bit of a talk with them when I go home next weekend. Even if i borrow just a little bit it's way cheaper than using credit. 6 month wait for the USAs, though. Wait a couple of months to order and I won't have to borrow anything. There's is the case of wanting to spend a bit before New Years, so I can write of taxes for my own business.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Rosewood gloss (is that what is called?) is my all time Gretsch fav finish...

Couldn't agree more.

Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm

What's going on there cymbal wise, Deep Fried?
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 am

Just got the the answer from Gretsch themselves that the Antique Pearl is available, so that's probably what I'll go with. It was my first gut feeling when they came out, but it's good to be sure. It's not too boring, but doesn't scream too much and a wrap is more durable.

Tom Reschke wrote:What's going on there cymbal wise, Deep Fried?

I'm a bit curious, too

Return to “Drumming Chat”