Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

percusski

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby percusski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:04 am

Hmm ok, has anyone actually owned/tried the two kits? I'm pretty sure Gretsch have had lulls in quality etc over the years?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:50 am

Jaspers and newer ones?

I'd guess most here have. Never owned myself as ya'll know. It was all Gretsch and Slingerland around here until everyone wanted Maple Customs. Many didn't care though and those who could afford them were more about the logo and status than the sound.

Things being less consistent might very well have led to a few more unique specimens out there.

When I sarted playing drums Gretsch seemed to be slaughtered all over the place due to poor QC. Not really heard anything bad since DW got involved.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Gretsch USA Customs...BroadKasters

I recently ordered custom made drums from Paul and Joshua.
USA Custom kit.... (5 pc USA) 10, 12, 14x14, matching 6x14 snare, 14x20
Also, USA Custom Kit (4 pc USA) 10,12, 14x14, 15x18 bass drum.

I got the Mardi Gras Finish on both kits. I ordered 2 Gretsch USA Custom Kits in Mardi Gras because:
1) I wanted various depths in the mounted toms ( 2 10" toms different depths, and 2 12" toms different depths)
2) I wanted a bop kit...instead of stnd 14x18", I had Gretsch make a 15x18 for a different sound.

Then I ordered a BroadKaster 5 pc set in Turquoise Glass.
9x10, 10x12, 14x14 and 14x20.....Bass drums on both Broadkasters and USA have a big bottom and deep sound,
especially with calftone batter and full front head, no port. 302 rims are cool and matched with 5x14 Brooklyn COB,
same specs are USA custom snare, except for the 302 rims.

I would say think about a 15x18 if you are interested in a bop size BD.

I would post my photos but have to experiment to learn how to do so.
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Tell me more about your 18 x 15, what characteristics does the extra 1" give to the sound. How versatile is this drum compared to your 20 x 14?
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:28 pm

To answer your question:
the 14" x 18" ( IMO ) has a deeper tone, more round, and just looks better.
Of course drum heads will have the biggest effect on the sound.

I have a very wide open sound on all my 14x20 Gretsch USA Customs and the 15x18 USA.
Am using Ambassador Calftones for batter, Ambassador heads on front, no ports, and no internal or external muffling.
The punch I get from the 18s and 20s will knock you against the wall and your relatives included.

I still think you have to listen to the drums yourself and this explanation is totally worthless to help anyone to know what my drums
might sound like.
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:16 pm

jean krupa wrote:To answer your question:
the 14" x 18" ( IMO ) has a deeper tone, more round, and just looks better.
Of course drum heads will have the biggest effect on the sound.

I have a very wide open sound on all my 14x20 Gretsch USA Customs and the 15x18 USA.
Am using Ambassador Calftones for batter, Ambassador heads on front, no ports, and no internal or external muffling.
The punch I get from the 18s and 20s will knock you against the wall and your relatives included.

I still think you have to listen to the drums yourself and this explanation is totally worthless to help anyone to know what my drums
might sound like.

Sorry did you mean the 20 x 14 at the top of your quote?
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:18 am

No, I did mean 15x18 since you were asking specifically about the bop size BD.
I wrote 14, when I should have written 15, but the 18" is what I wanted to convey about its sonic qualities.

As Dizzy Gillespie said, "I Beeped When I Should Have Bopped."

I have photos of all the USA Custom sets, plus the Turquoise Glass BroadKasters and would like to
include them but I don't see an attachment icon.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

percusski wrote:Hmm ok, has anyone actually owned/tried the two kits? I'm pretty sure Gretsch have had lulls in quality etc over the years?

Yes, the newer drums are better, and the service is also better if anything goes wrong.
percusski

Postby percusski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
percusski wrote:Hmm ok, has anyone actually owned/tried the two kits? I'm pretty sure Gretsch have had lulls in quality etc over the years?

Yes, the newer drums are better, and the service is also better if anything goes wrong.

Excellent, what makes them "better" just build quality or are we talking sound?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:06 pm

percusski wrote:
Excellent, what makes them "better" just build quality or are we talking sound?

Yes, workmanship and consistency. The sound has always been good, although sometimes you get lucky and you get drums that sound incredible vs. only great. But that's really just something that happens with wood and every brand has great and not so great examples. This is something you really only come to realize after you've owned several sets of drums of the same model from the same company.

One thing that continues to be low grade is some of the hardware they use. Specifically the fasteners that hold the lugs and other hardware onto the shells. If I ever got another set of Gretsch, I would just swap every single screw out with some high quality fasteners.

Return to “Drumming Chat”