Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 23, 2018 3:12 am

Before your life turns to the electric guitar, pedalboards and hanging around on thegearpage your have no idea what nerdy means. :lol:

Seem to remember reading he had a similar one that was his favourite kit for a while. Natural finish, mounted floor toms... used it on the Electra session.
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed May 23, 2018 6:14 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
chris perra wrote:If you are going to spend alot of money and you want a specific thing, why not look for a custom drum builder?. Resale value won't be as high but you'll get what you want..

There must be a builder in Sweden that does good work.. You're in Sweden? The drum world unless you have a specific shell type that is only made by one company is very much American Chopper.
Get the parts that someone else makes, cut bearing edges and holes do finish and assemble.. A competent builder with lots of experience will be able to build you what you want. If you knwo what wood, bearing edges and type of hardware you desire it should be doable...

I'm in Norway. JG drums makes snares and there some acrylics being made by http://ruffdrums.com/ . There's probably someone else

I sort of know Gretsch is the thing I want. Known that for a long time. Have a bunch of their snares. I don't really care, but yes resell and even just the name plays a part today. Lots of USA Customs and first generation Renowns in Norway, but 99% bop kits. Considering how many copies there are of USA custom drums, noone actually gets t right. Even Starclassics are as far as I know initally based on them.

Though yes. That Heuer kit represents one of the first more modern and cleaner things I actually like, but not based on much else but that vid.

Seems I got my answers pretty quickly. Got some PMs, too.

So, it will probably be USA Custom with no suspension first, then a few Broadkaster drums for a more specific purpose and then should the need arise for something more modern and resonant a Heuer or something Heuer has messed with. I can't even imagine anything else I would want as serious regular use tools.

I have a custom builder in mind for other stuff, though. Mainly a 5 piece conga set. I was equally infatuated with those. Love at first soundwave. Lots of money, though. Actually they're pretty standard prized, but I want 5 from the same trunk. Will be a long time until I can afford them, but I'm having him build me a pair of bongos and a djembe first.

Just wondering why Gretsch over all the other brands, drums of a certain level all should be fairly adaptable depending on heads and tuning? I can usually get my sound out of most drums I've played. I'm really impressed with the Tama Star series, have you heard them in person?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

thewikiman wrote:Can you tell me anything about it? Is it just a USA custom in regular Vinnie sizes, or is there anything specific about that particular set...?

I don't know anything about that set. I've never seen it in person. Is that the same set he played on that Zildjian video where he promos the A Custom line? If so, I'm pretty sure they were extended length drums. Chances are that they had some work done by Chris Heuer too, which means they're not typically Gretsch sounding.

If you want to be able to tension your heads really loose, you need very even edges, and usually a bit sharper ones too. Gretsch's edges are normally a bit rounder, and make more contact with the head, which is why they sound really nice cranked up high.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am

percusski wrote:
Just wondering why Gretsch over all the other brands, drums of a certain level all should be fairly adaptable depending on heads and tuning? I can usually get my sound out of most drums I've played. I'm really impressed with the Tama Star series, have you heard them in person?

Character and having a bit of relation to that tone as well as if we get into it being what I've wanted for a very long time. Star drums are pretty close. Lacking a little bit of that cool character. Hardly cheaper, though.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am

OAO,
I have many Gretsch drums. BD's in 18 through 24, and toms in 8 through 18, and a few snares. I have been working on this "shell bank" for a long time. I never set them all up at one time, I just like to pick and choose sizes for each gig. There are many examples of these drums in many different musical contexts on my youtube page,

https://www.youtube.com/user/nomsgmusic/featured

All of my drums are 80's and before (RB, SSB, Drop G.) Some have been rewrapped by Precision Drums, and all are now Black Nitron. ALL of my drums needed to be re-edged, because none of them had quality edges, they ALL had factory flaws in the edges. Secondly, I have put RIMS mounts and Yamaha mounting hardware on every drum. Thirdly, I have removed all of the internal mufflers in all of the drums (except one snare.)

With all of that work having been done, these are the best drums that I have EVER played. In my opinion the sound of Gretsch is the combo of the Jasper made shells (that combo of wood, not just the manufacturer,) and the die cast zinc rims.

A student of mine was recently looking for a new Gretsch kit and I was trying to help him out, and I must say that the names and descriptions on the new Gretsch drums is REALLY confusing, I couldn't keep track of what was what. Good luck figuring it out. But whichever has THOSE shells , and THOSE rims are the ones that I would go with. But I would be prepared to have some "post manufacturing-delivery" tweeks done by a quality craftsman. Based on what I have seen recently, I am still not convinced that Gretsch's QC is completely "solved," but that's the deal when you "go Gretsch." So be prepared.

Those Natural Gretsch's that you have seen Vinnie using (with the 12x14 mounted floor tom, and the normal 16x16 with legs) are (I think) pre-USA Custom, they are the "original" Gretsch drums (when there was only one kind of professional Gretsch drums, and they had Jasper shells and die cast rims. From what I remember, I don't think they are deeper toms, but the bass drum might be deeper, although he could have purchased deeper toms along the way. I think those natural Gretsch's are also Vinnie's "original" Gretsch's, that were (I'd be willing to bet) tweaked majorly by Chris. However he also had an old set of jazz sized (I think Black Nitron's, maybe white I forget) waaay back (Berklee days) as well. I think he used them on the Joan Rivers show once with Herbie and Abe on a one-off trio appearance in the 80's.

Hope that helps, good luck with the purchase!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 pm

When I was looking to buy earlier I did come across quite a few complaints. Most of them were wrap releated. New wrap machine was the first thing DW brought in, but it probably wasn't the only thing. Haven't heard anything in a while, but can't say I've looked either.

Magic if they're right, but sometimes they're wrong. Just give me a nice bass drum.

It will pretty much be the Vinnie sig fusion sizes + 18" & 20" bass drums. 12, 14, 18 first.

"They're Grrrrrretsch!!!" - Tony the Tiger
Greg Moore

Postby Greg Moore » Thu May 24, 2018 3:07 pm

bensdrums wrote:I have 4 Gretsch kits. My favorites are NOT the flagship USA Custom.
Broadkaster is a bop kit and sounds good tuned up high, which is where I keep it, but has trouble anywhere else

Not sure I'd agree with that 100% (though I do agree with much of what you said). Just got a Broadkaster this past year (8x12,14x14,14x20 in gloss piano black lacquer) and the bass drum really is a monster for its size. I'm still using the Permatone heads but will probably swap out to EC2's in the near future. What I really like is the "air" in the tone when hit hard.

Anyway, here's Steve Ferrone gettin' a pretty big sound out of his Bkasters (and, of course the set Gretsch made him for the last Tom Petty tour). That's really why I bought this kit; I don't have the budget for a lot and, with head changes, I'm hoping this'll be my "do most anything for what I need" kit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 am

Big different and I'd sorta like both for different reason. No need for all sizes in both as their initial uses are quite clear in my case.

Anyway. A question I guess isn't all that uncommon on forums...

18x14 or 18x16 BD?
jem

Postby jem » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

18x14, especially 14 on a 18.

All my BDs are x14, all I had that were not are sold, it just works, they occupy less space on the stage, they fit the trunk of the car etc.

Why not a x14?
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:14 pm

OMG that Toshi song kicked arse!!! He never played these grooves when I saw him
at the Spud...didn't care for his set, but this stuff....YUMMY. Steve is so pocket...
he is the pocket man!

Oh...the drums sounded great! Excellent boom boom going on.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”