Starting a drum school

Paul Marangoni

Re: Starting a drum school

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu May 31, 2018 7:16 am

electrizer wrote:Is it viable?

Yes, but the risk is too great. First thing you need to do is get several years of teaching experience. You might hate it. I did quite a bit of teaching many, many years ago, both privately and through some drum shops. 90% of the people I taught didn't put in the effort that is required to become a decent musician. Of those, at least a third were very young kids who never practiced and/or were forced into it by their parents. I think the ones who are super serious end up going to college for music.

Bottom line is that it can be very frustrating. It's possible to do, just like it's possible to be successful in any business if you're smart and do the work. I think you need to figure out if it's something you will enjoy first though.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I would put a business plan together first thing just to mkae sure you have everything in black and white.

You would need to do some stuff like drumeo, so having video chops would be a good thing. Have you studied the psychology of learning at all, you may need to become more than just a drum teacher.

I am involved in krav maga pretty heavily. The great teachers are continually pushing themselves, and have the entire hour of class planned out. The poor ones, stumble a bit, and don't seek to excel, and rely on the same chops over and over. Can you be passionate when you feel like shit?

Just some random thoughts. I like the idea. If you can make a living at it, that's awesome. I am not sure how the drumeo thing was financed, they had some money. Maybe there are grants you can get?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 pm

Yeah.

It's impossible to worth much as a teacher unless one is humble and always wanting to grow and challenge oneself.

We're in many cases down to a really low percentage here. Some used to have it, they had the passion, but they got burned out from being surrounded by forces that want to hold back the general evolution, doing it to protect their ego, not for being of service.

Return to “Drumming Chat”