What is your hi-fi IEM?

Rudy_Ment

What is your hi-fi IEM?

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 pm

So, I don't mean flat neutral drum monitoring in ears like the shure products, and I know the term IEM is a bit misleading, but I mean hi-fi tuned in ears purely for listening to music. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I really appreciate high quality headphones and in ears.

I'm excited about some new IEMs I just bought. They're by a company called iBasso which is a new name to me and are very popular and well regarded at head-fi at the moment and for the last 6 months. Basically, audiophile quality comparable with much more expensive iems, but at a fraction of the cost. Cost me £81 and just been testing them the last couple of days. They apparently benefit from about 200 hours burn in but they sound amazing out of the box. If you're looking for something with superb mids, lots of detail, warmth, wide soundstage, accurate imaging, smooth treble and tons of low end weight, I highly recommend them. Vinnie on Bill Meyer Images Voyager sounds incredible. The bass drum and snare are so beautifully recorded. The cable is high quality, detachable and very strong. My other iem is by Vsonic which also sound very good, but I've had two sets and both of them lost connection in one of the ears after a year or two. I think these will last forever!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1qlzlbc7s/
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Paul Marangoni

Re: What is your hi-fi IEM?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:12 pm

If I'm walking outdoors or I'm at the gym, I use Bose Bluetooth headphones. I think they're called SoundSport. They sound fine but I'm not thrilled with how they fit. Headphones aren't something anyone should be wearing regularly though. Your hearing is going to suffer in the long run. I use Audio Technica ATH-M70 headphones for mixing and occasional critical listening at home.
Niles

Postby Niles » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

I’ve heard good things about the iBasso’s - it’s fun finding something that you really like. I’ve been getting back into IEM’s - I used etymotics for many years, but only for practicing with a click on my phone. I picked up their ER4sr a few months ago, to use for practicing and checking mixes - they were pretty good, but it just started me on a quest for something better. I started with Westone W40s and W60s, but ended up with a pair of Shure SE 535’s. I much preferred the Shures to the Westones which had an emphasis around 250 Hz, and somewhat disjointed overall balance. I also tried a pair of Shure SE 846’s which I think I might also get for home, and use the 535’s for work and travel.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 am

Bought the Shure 315 (dual driver) last year... Sold them after a week. The sound was just dull. I wanna try the 535, but I´m not impressed so far...
At home I use my trusty Beyer DT770. They´re awesome!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:So, I don't mean flat neutral drum monitoring in ears like the shure products, and I know the term IEM is a bit misleading, but I mean hi-fi tuned in ears purely for listening to music. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I really appreciate high quality headphones and in ears.

I'm excited about some new IEMs I just bought. They're by a company called iBasso which is a new name to me and are very popular and well regarded at head-fi at the moment and for the last 6 months. Basically, audiophile quality comparable with much more expensive iems, but at a fraction of the cost. Cost me £81 and just been testing them the last couple of days. They apparently benefit from about 200 hours burn in but they sound amazing out of the box. If you're looking for something with superb mids, lots of detail, warmth, wide soundstage, accurate imaging, smooth treble and tons of low end weight, I highly recommend them. Vinnie on Bill Meyer Images Voyager sounds incredible. The bass drum and snare are so beautifully recorded. The cable is high quality, detachable and very strong. My other iem is by Vsonic which also sound very good, but I've had two sets and both of them lost connection in one of the ears after a year or two. I think these will last forever!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1qlzlbc7s/

Actually the SE215 are amazing for every day use. Great bass, very dynamic and good price. I also have the SE425's and those would be typically for stage/studio purposes.
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I've got the Sennheiser ie80S for out and about listening, really nice, try them
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Niles wrote:I’ve heard good things about the iBasso’s - it’s fun finding something that you really like. I’ve been getting back into IEM’s - I used etymotics for many years, but only for practicing with a click on my phone. I picked up their ER4sr a few months ago, to use for practicing and checking mixes - they were pretty good, but it just started me on a quest for something better. I started with Westone W40s and W60s, but ended up with a pair of Shure SE 535’s. I much preferred the Shures to the Westones which had an emphasis around 250 Hz, and somewhat disjointed overall balance. I also tried a pair of Shure SE 846’s which I think I might also get for home, and use the 535’s for work and travel.

The Shure Se 846's are like $900 and will be awesome I'm sure. But seriously, before you buy them, save yourself a lot of money and take a punt on the iBasso IT01. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're taking my breath away. If you buy them, take a listen to Keith Carlock on the Steely Dan title track Everything Must Go. The bass drum on these is absolutely mental! So much clean thump, you can sense the air moving on each kick. Of course, the key is selecting the best tips for the best seal. I only get on with large tips, anything smaller gives me weak bass. Here's part of a review from someone who has very expensive iems. I've got another pair of iems being shipped to me called TFZ Exclusive 3. I think they're going to be great as well but not as good as these.

"I've just started listening to my IT01, non-stop for the last hour or so.
By way of comparison I have the IT03 ($300?) and the Noble Katana ($1650+).
With these $99 IEM's, my initial feeling is, I'm not really missing anything from the other IEM's
."
Last edited by Rudy_Ment on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Bought the Shure 315 (dual driver) last year... Sold them after a week. The sound was just dull. I wanna try the 535, but I´m not impressed so far...
At home I use my trusty Beyer DT770. They´re awesome!

Funnily enough, I was saying to someone yesterday that I always wanted a pair of DT770s! He's just bought himself a pair of Beyer DT1990s which he says are amazing.
I've got a Sennheiser HD580 Precision from many years ago, precursor to the HD600. Still sound great, fairly uncoloured sound I suppose but really nice.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 pm

I have the House of Marley Zion in-ears. They are quite remarkable. Fantastic sound and durability. I use them for running

For anything else I use the Bose QC 35s (concentration at work, long walks etc) and they are great too.

Return to “Drumming Chat”