Latin drumming teacher in LA?

Phil Maturano

Re: Latin drumming teacher in LA?

Postby Phil Maturano » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 am

Kurtis is right. I guess now the real question would be what specifically are you wanting to learn about "Latin Drumming"
Its such a HUGE wide thing that the best approach is to know what you want exactly and tackle one thing at a time. Either way...it will take a lifetime and the whole thing has to be taken with a "journey" type of perspective. (Not the band haha)

if you can tell me more specifically what you need maybe i can help more!
All the best
PM
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 am

Phil's got a point there...

Personally, I don't really like the term "Latin Drumming" because it means so many different things depending on the region and the culture... are you wanting to learn Afro-Cuban stuff, or Brazilian, etc, etc...

I'd suggest in addition to learn all the individual instruments before moving onto the drumset patterns. In other words, dig into some samba schools and note all the different instruments, which of those get brought into the drumset version, etc.

I love reading a big band chart that says "Funky-Latin" at the top. 9 times out of 10 it's just a mambo! haha...
Got Blushda?
Chuck Silverman

Re: Latin drumming teacher in LA? (from Chuck Silverman)

Postby Chuck Silverman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am

hi. Firstly, I'd like to thank all of those who've recommended me as a teacher. Very appreciated. I'm located in Winnetka, 91306. Email me at chuck@chucksilverman.com and cc to cbsilveman@yahoo.com
An FYI, I just released a digitally downloadable video and eBook about my lessons with Murray Spivack and Richard Wilson, entitled Basic Snare Drum Technique. http://chucksilverman.com/media/media.html for more info.
Once again, thanks so much for your interest and support.

Chuck
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 am

Chuck, welcome to the forum. Big fan here- your clinic performance in 1989(1990?) at North Texas left a lasting impression on me...

Hope you're able to pop in once in a while, like our other heavyweights.

Cheers
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 am

Great to see you here Chuck :)

I downloaded the DVD the day it became available. I was intending to start a post here about it once I'd spent some time with the material!
piccupstix

Postby piccupstix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Ditto! Thanks for stopping by, Chuck. I'll be ordering your video too. I also studied with Murray Spivack, and his associate, Wally Snow, and I think it would be a good thing to re-visit his teachings.
Chuck Silverman

Postby Chuck Silverman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to posting here and sharing our love for music and the groove!

CS
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks all!

Hi Chuck and welcome to HOD! I'm the canuck who emailed you a couple days ago. I hope we can work something out.

Guys, I used to be picky too about the "latin" term. But I guess I unconsciously came back to it so neophytes can relate to what I'm talking about. When I say to people that my favourite style of music is afro-cuban jazz-funk, I get weird looks like I'm the only one on the planet who must be listening to this. "Forget it, I like latin music!", "Oh, I see...". I'm on a drumming forum, what was I thinking...?!?

I studied afro-cuban drums with Bobby Sanabria a long time ago. Then learned some basics of conga, timbales. I practiced and played that style in bands quite a bit. Now's the time for a reboot.
Got an opportunity to go to LA where the chances to find a specialized instructor are infinitely higher than in my area.

Basically I wanna play the idiom in front of an expert and have him point my weaknesses, whether it be feel, accenting, phrasing, bad habits…and come up with exercises to improve those areas.
Also put me up to date with new hip stuff in the genre, cos I'm sure music evolved in Cuba.
And of course drain his brain out to mine. ;)
Chuck Silverman

Postby Chuck Silverman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

Hope to meet you here in LA. I'll email you with directions "a mi casa" (ok, that's "to my house" in espanich).
What I know, or have been told by cats who know, is that Brazilians consider their music to be "Brazilian" not "Latin". I also know what a drummer really does need to know in order to survive as a performer. What I mean is you really should know, in the Latin or Brazilian vein, a decent sounding bossa, samba, songo and some type of Latin Jazz chops. The important thing, one of them, is how to play the grooves and how to make transitions between, let's say, verse and chorus grooves. How to keep the people dancing and the musicians with whom you're performing happy. This is what I enjoy teaching, i.e. how to play music.
If any drummers on here have any questions, I'd be honored to give you my dos centavos.
Chuck
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am

If your looking to get your Brazilian chops together hit up Michael Shapiro. I think he is still at LAMA. Pick up the album "Another Season" by Kevin Lettau. Some great Brazilian feel from Michael. Lots of great phrasings and accents to pick up on.

Return to “Drumming Chat”