Latin drumming teacher in LA?

willyz

Re: Latin drumming teacher in LA?

Postby willyz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Kurtis wrote:If your looking to get your Brazilian chops together hit up Michael Shapiro. I think he is still at LAMA. Pick up the album "Another Season" by Kevin Lettau. Some great Brazilian feel from Michael. Lots of great phrasings and accents to pick up on.

I studied with Mike (he's no longer at LAMA). He's an amazing teacher that strips away the bullshit. He's a great guy!
Got Blushda?
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:22 pm

I love brazilian too! Just got less occasions to play it.

I had good lessons with Duduka da Fonseca. He's really a master, from the Rio school. His band Trio da Paz is killin'.
http://triodapaz.com/
Kim Plainfield is also excellent at brazilian. I saw him with Tania Maria; the next he did a clinic with her bassist Kip Reed. Demonstrated very modern brazilian grooves.
But my favourite is Airto; I think Mike shapiro played with him and Flora a while back.

I may also be in LA in May for SID; I could try to catch a brazilian master that time.
Chuck Silverman

Postby Chuck Silverman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Check out Christiano Rocha and Kiko Freitas. I believe they're both from Sao Paulo and both are amazing. We can go over some of their ideas and grooves when you're here.

Return to “Drumming Chat”