A Self-indulgent Willy Update!

willyz

A Self-indulgent Willy Update!

Postby willyz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 am

Hey gang,

It's been some time since my last post, but fret not friends I'm still lurking around HOD! I don't really have too much to say these days as I've been getting away from drumming over the years- not to mention the craziness of life, career changes, getting married, etc. That being said, my wife and I are about to make another crazy life choice... by leaving LA! GASP!

One does grow weary of the apartment life over time, and learning that you could be paying for ownership of a house for the same amount of money (or less!!) elsewhere as we currently are for our apartment in LA can be quite staggering. So, in a nutshell, we found ourselves in the right opportunity to make a serious change. We also wanted to be closer to our families (another variable that seems to take more importance as one ages a bit), but we didn't want to give up living in a big city which is why we're buying our house in Maplewood, NJ. Cool, hip little town with a 40 minute train ride into Manhattan without any stops in between.

Not only will it be great to be closer to family, to own a house, and to be so close to NYC, but it obviously provides me the opportunity to set up my gear at my home and start seriously shedding again- a luxury I honestly haven't had since high school. Now, I'm not looking to seriously gig in the city as that just sounds like a headache and there's some serious players just like in LA, but I figure the further away from the city I get, the bigger fish I'll be in those smaller ponds- in theory, I should at least be able to get into some casual gigging again. Or- heaven forbid, have some fun playing again too!!

Seemingly, I've given several updates on my life/career/journey to the HOD family over the years (probably for about 15 years now!), and it seems fitting to update y'all especially as I've talked about New York before and have always wanted to seek opportunities on the east coast. More drumming in my life = more HOD in my life, so I hope to be around more like the old days!

Here's to the next steps in life and heres to drums! Cheers!!
Got Blushda?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: A Self-indulgent Willy Update!

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for the update Willy. Good luck man and hope things clearly progress for you!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Congrads Willy...you are gonna be a GREAT dad dude...you can look at your kid(s)
and say, "I went for it!" Respect. If my dad didn't move to CA I would have grown up in
NJ with tons of family...how one decision can change the next generation. Best
to you and your bride...I thought you were from MI? Now you and Steve can hang during the
holidays!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
willyz

Postby willyz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks guys!

Yeah, my family lives in Michigan. NJ still a hell of a lot closer than CA!

Cheers!
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”