Quarantine Chatty!

willyz

Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby willyz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 am

re: mental heath

I started therapy back in May. It was a long time coming over the years as depression and anxiety built up. I think the covid situation was the major catalyst that drove me to the point of realizing that I needed some help. Our move to NJ has been pretty rough on my wife and I both emotionally and financially as we got a bit in over our heads (fuck the taxes here!). Then at the start of this year my teaching practice and gigs were really starting to pick up and make a major difference for us financially and then with the snap of Thanos' finger covid hit. It was all gone. I lost complete confidence in myself, even though this catalyst was completely not my fault and out of my control. It was taking its toll on every aspect of my life.

I just wanted to share this because of some of the comments here and I really think it's commendable and important (especially for us dudes, assuming that this is a mostly male audience) of you guys to be sharing some of your struggles through this batshit crazy time.

Nobody is alone, and we can all get through this with a little help from our friends (and sometimes some licensed professionals!

Stay safe, stay well!

Cheers.
Got Blushda?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 am

Hang in there Willy. Now that a vaccine is on the horizon, I predict that things all around will be much better by next summer. Until that time, it's all about hanging in there and trying to keep your head above water, any way you can. I lost most of my income a few months back and have been trying to find work ever since. You do what you gotta do. Eventually this will pass.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:09 pm

I wouldn’t count on a vaccine to solve the pandemic. Lots of people won’t take it. Young people won’t for the most part. Lots of people still don’t get the mask concept. It’s going to get much worse the next few years. Eventually people will want to see live music, shopping malls, movie theaters and so forth. They will get so sick and tired of lockdowns after a few years they just might start wear masks. Keep a safe distance. Wash hands. Take common sense in order to not contract the virus. If the vaccine works great. It might take having a symbiotic relationship with the virus to fully go away. That takes generations. Maybe the flu season won’t be so bad this year cause not many are traveling. People working from home. Masks. I am lucky enough to work from home and if I want I can go into work I can. We hang out with certain clicks of families around our area. Our 13 year old has plenty of friends to hang with.

Willy you taking any online courses? That’s what I’ve been doing when I’m not working.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Kurtis wrote:I wouldn’t count on a vaccine to solve the pandemic. Lots of people won’t take it. Young people won’t for the most part.

Perhaps, but I'm sure many employers will demand their employees get vaccinated or they won't be allowed into the office. Same with most schools. No vaccine, no school for you.
I'll continue wearing a mask indefinitely regardless.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Kurtis wrote:Willy you taking any online courses? That’s what I’ve been doing when I’m not working.

I keep busy supporting my wife while she’s working and I take care of our three dogs too. All the cleaning, all the cooking, yard work, etc. Thankfully I’m a pretty good cook and enjoy that part of it immensely.

And thanks, Paul- hanging in indeed!
Got Blushda?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 am

Thanks for sharing, Willyz.

You’re absolutely right about it being important to be able to share struggles in a predominantly male community.

My best wishes for you and your wife.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:13 am

Therapy can be good if you find the right therapist.

I've just gone through a basic public thing which buys some sick leave, but finding someone who really knows narcissism and can provide my lawyer with good documentation is a whole different thing.

It's pretty much going solo. Nothing gets done until you're well enough to deal with it on your own, search for good people and pay them yourself.

Just seems so unnecessary and if the leaders and police had done their job initially this would be done a long time ago.

I actually am pretty well now, but the amount of life, time, money, career, ability, and health is just insane.

Not realy happy about finding out that some of my oldest driends that run the music school here a home are just as bad. I guess that in the back of my mind I always knew, but now it's proved beyond any doubt.

Honor, integrity and responsibilty. Seems we've lost a bit of that. At least fasades seem to be the main thing in this digital age, so the consequences just aren't there. I guess some of people at the top always could get away with it, but now any asshole can, it seems.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Gaming has been great. Received the Zotac 3070 GPU today. It’s nice to turn up all the graphic settings to ultra and have more frames per second. Games look amazing now. Quite the upgrade from the 1060. The new GPU’s are almost impossible to score. With the help from the web site now in stock and Discord app it made things easier. The F5 button can take a rest. So many bots get most of the cards and end up on eBay to be scalped. I am getting a EVGA 3080 next week. If anyone wants to buy the Zotac 3070 I will sell it to them at what I paid for it. AMD 6000 series launch was a joke. Nividas GPU’s are still king. Their drivers just work. Cyberpunk 2077 lets go!
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Hang in there Willy. Now that a vaccine is on the horizon, I predict that things all around will be much better by next summer. Until that time, it's all about hanging in there and trying to keep your head above water, any way you can. I lost most of my income a few months back and have been trying to find work ever since. You do what you gotta do. Eventually this will pass.

It's good to see there's at least one logical, high profile musician that isn't falling for all the bullshit, fear mongering narratives.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:45 pm

I don't really hang out on FB anymore. Log in for a minute a couple of times a week maybe, but it's hard to avoid some musicians that I follow feel the need to fill the air with their self absorbed uneducated political opinions. I'm so tired of that stupidity that I cleaned house. It serves no purpose.

If they truly wanted to get involved, that's fine, but this brainless follow the crowd look-at-me-narsissitic-I-have-the-same-opinion-too-validation-bullshit deserves no respect or attention.

If you want to sell something, stick with what you know.

Mr. Igoe thinks everyone should clean their house, so he basically inspired me to clean him out until he's able to shut up. :lol:

Return to “Drumming Chat”