Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Kurtis

Re: Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Postby Kurtis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:33 am

The truth is that American jazz and fusion will always be more popular in countries that have a collective higher IQ. We're all into good music here so I hope I dont offend anyone, but the USA is a large country and most of it doesn't have a clue what creativity or art is. However, in Europe and Asia, they eat it up. Dave is not a session drummer like Vinnie Colaiuta or some others. He is capable musically in my opinion, but it's obvious from his road schedule that he just can't bring home the $$ the same way by staying home like some other players can. I'm coming to this conclusion by simple observation. Many drummers in L.A, N.Y and Nashville still make a large chunk of change staying home most of the year and touring occasionally. I've seen the studio video, but if that studio was indeed busy, he wouldn't be touring like that. No dad wants to be away from the kids if they can help it. I love that talent show video. Dave has always struck me as a good guy, and a very serious guy. Can't say I know him like Joesmechanic does.

dave is a session drummer. he's just been touring for a while. he's one of the greatest drummers on the planet. he makes my top 2 list. there might be a few more bucks in touring right now. he enjoys it. he can play any studio session. he's the man. maybe staying in town is not in the cards right now.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

I agree on the top drummer part, your list is great for you, but I don't see what your list has to do with it. I want to address your statement "Dave is a session drummer, he's just been touring for a while". I find this interesting because I can't make sense out of it. Dave has been touring consistently since the age of 24. Please list the years he was off the road to be in the studio. While you're at it please list 3 movie soundtracks he's played on in the last 3 years. Please list a TV spot he's played on. Might as well list the pop or rock recordings he's on in 2010. This is the type of work studio drummers do. Dave as we all know can play it all and sound great. That's why I said musically, he can be in that scene. He just does not get the calls. Therefore he tours. Makes sense, musicians hate traveling in this day and age. Its not pleasant. I can tell you from being a dad myself, only a dead beat dad would chose to be away from home if he didn't have to be. Dave has to be because its the only way to pay the bills. I'm he has a huge alimony bill.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:The truth is that American jazz and fusion will always be more popular in countries that have a collective higher IQ. We're all into good music here so I hope I dont offend anyone, but the USA is a large country and most of it doesn't have a clue what creativity or art is. However, in Europe and Asia, they eat it up. Dave is not a session drummer like Vinnie Colaiuta or some others. He is capable musically in my opinion, but it's obvious from his road schedule that he just can't bring home the $$ the same way by staying home like some other players can. I'm coming to this conclusion by simple observation. Many drummers in L.A, N.Y and Nashville still make a large chunk of change staying home most of the year and touring occasionally. I've seen the studio video, but if that studio was indeed busy, he wouldn't be touring like that. No dad wants to be away from the kids if they can help it. I love that talent show video. Dave has always struck me as a good guy, and a very serious guy. Can't say I know him like Joesmechanic does.

Not to state the obvious, but if people think you are an asshole, how likely are you to land the gig? I'm guessing Vinnie is more of a people person and well liked, not to mention fairly 'musically capable...'
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Avi_drums wrote:
Robert Bluman wrote:The truth is that American jazz and fusion will always be more popular in countries that have a collective higher IQ. We're all into good music here so I hope I dont offend anyone, but the USA is a large country and most of it doesn't have a clue what creativity or art is. However, in Europe and Asia, they eat it up. Dave is not a session drummer like Vinnie Colaiuta or some others. He is capable musically in my opinion, but it's obvious from his road schedule that he just can't bring home the $$ the same way by staying home like some other players can. I'm coming to this conclusion by simple observation. Many drummers in L.A, N.Y and Nashville still make a large chunk of change staying home most of the year and touring occasionally. I've seen the studio video, but if that studio was indeed busy, he wouldn't be touring like that. No dad wants to be away from the kids if they can help it. I love that talent show video. Dave has always struck me as a good guy, and a very serious guy. Can't say I know him like Joesmechanic does.

Not to state the obvious, but if people think you are an asshole, how likely are you to land the gig? I'm guessing Vinnie is more of a people person and well liked, not to mention fairly 'musically capable...'

But guys, my english is that bad ?

I see NOTHING negative in Robert's message, he's just saying what we all know.
Vinnie can stay in town, he's still in working a lot as session man, Dave can't, Dennis can't, Jazz drummers can't, Gospel drummers can't, etc...
Of course I think that the Abe Jr, Kenny, Josh, Steve Jordan, and the cats working at the TV show can stay in town.

Most of the US musicians are making money by touring in Europe and Asia, it's true, I can see it here. And more, I think it's unfair as it's hard for us to work in the USA than USA musicians to play in Europe, "worse", people would always prefer book an american player than an European player...

But anyway, in my opinion there is NOTHING wrong or negative in Robert's post.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Anyone remember that sociopath who used to post on HOD a couple years ago and used different user names? Paraflam, SDK, Funkysomething, etc. He was a big Hass fan I remember. Suspicions arose due to similarities in writing styles and opinions. Guy used to have conversations with himself, and back up his opinions with his other aliases. It was very amusing. Everything was black or white- there was no gray. He pissed off quite a few name players and contributors to the board, unfortunately. Derek found out all the posts were originating from the same IP address. I think he got booted or bailed when we found out who he was.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Rodge wrote:
Avi_drums wrote:

But guys, my english is that bad ?

I see NOTHING negative in Robert's message, he's just saying what we all know.
Vinnie can stay in town, he's still in working a lot as session man, Dave can't, Dennis can't, Jazz drummers can't, Gospel drummers can't, etc...
Of course I think that the Abe Jr, Kenny, Josh, Steve Jordan, and the cats working at the TV show can stay in town.

Most of the US musicians are making money by touring in Europe and Asia, it's true, I can see it here. And more, I think it's unfair as it's hard for us to work in the USA than USA musicians to play in Europe, "worse", people would always prefer book an american player than an European player...

But anyway, in my opinion there is NOTHING wrong or negative in Robert's post.

You're right. I misinterpreted the statement since it was late at night (morning) and because the syntax was a little shaky. To explain my error, he initially contrasts Dave to Vinnie. In the following sentence he begins to describe Dave as "musically capable." So the syntax would suggest if Dave is "musically capable" then Vinnie is not. However, if you read the rest of the sentence and paragraph, it becomes apparent this is all about Dave, not necessarily a statement about Vinnie.

OK, grammar lesson over. :P
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

cjbdrm. you are so right. it's paraflam. he's back and in rare form. now what? enough already guy. save it. there are trillions of other forums to bolster mindless chatter.

it's just messed up to actually think for a split second that weckl can't be a session guy. he's incredible. mind blowing. one of the greats. he might be labeled a touring guy right now. if he stuck around town for a while and got word around he's available for session work he would get into the mix. thing about dave is that he's incredibly talented. his performances with stern, chick or whomever are legendary. it's almost destiny he belongs out there touring sharing his talent with the world. he's been on plenty of recordings. i don't compare weckl with anyone else. he's one of a kind. always has been in my ears. dave weckl is a HUGE drum hero of mine. lets show the guy some respect! enough of the second guessing.
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I have been thinking it for over a week now and wasn't going to say anything. Robert = Paraflam. What a nut.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm

OK.
You guys can't gang up on someone because they're opinion is unpopular. I'm not as concerned with what someone is saying as much as how they say it (within reason). Let's put our ptichforks away for the time being please. =)

Having said that, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Dave has his own studio, like folks were saying a lot of non-US folks dig that style, he could be doing all kinds of remote recording for all kinds of people. WE DON'T KNOW. Just cuz he's not on the new Justin Beiber record doesn't mean...yada yada etc etc...
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 pm

The insidiousness is usually the giveaway...

Return to “Drumming Chat”