Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Robert Bluman

Re: Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Postby Robert Bluman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

? Guys? Hello? Anyone in there? I never said Mr. Weckl can't anything. He's at the top of my list too!!! If what I'm stating is so obvious why is Kurtis not getting it?
You can't be doing tracks in your studio if you're spending months on tour. All I'm saying is that Dave Weckl does not get called for the session work that say Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Schaeffer, JR Robinson and Ralph Humphrey get. It's not an insult to the guy. It just is. There isn't a drummer in the world who would go on tour with Oz Noy if he could stay home and make a great living in the studio and be with his kids. Besides, just take a look at his discography, its updated pretty regularly, and it's mostly jazz related music. Which is great by all means! It's not session work though. I dont understand why you're saying the guy does things he doesn't do. I'm completely confused by your reaction Kurtis. Whoa. It's different than saying he can't. Of course he can!
Rodge said it too. Rodge's native language isn't English and he knows what I'm saying! Thank you Rodge. Except Rodge, as far as I know, gospel drummers are usually playing in church, and that pays pretty well. The only time you'll see a gospel drummer on tour is with a huge pop act like Christina or when the choir hits the road. Those gospel gigs usually keep guys at home.
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 am

I don't know Dave personally but I talked to him a couple of times about many different things and one time I asked him about being called to do sessions for BIG NAME POP/ROCK artists and I do remember he said that it wasn't really his first priority to become a session LA player. His focus was more to have his own project going (The Dave weckl Band) and also he wanted to become more like an "instructor" or mentor for the young folks and he even mentioned that he was planning to open a music school in LA w/ some other drummers and musicians (that was a few yrs ago). He said (I am Paraphrasing) he doesn't really feel attractive by most of the music that plays on the radios and there were only a few Rock/Pop artists that He really liked and he would consider to play with...and one of them would be Sting he said!

Let's not forget that Dave toured and recorded w/ "big popular" artists in the early 80's. He toured w/ Simon and Garfunkel...did sessions for Diana Ross, Robert Plant, George Benson, and MADONNA. He also did jingles and some sound tracks.

My point is If Dave really wanted to start doing session work for Big POP/ROCK artists to "stay" more at home, he could start that any time if he wanted to. Trust me! He could just pick up the phone and he would start getting calls pretty soon.
I mean...the guy has the total package...either you like it or not THE GUY can play like no ONE ELSE. He reads music perfectly, he's probably more precise than a metronome itself so there's no need for a click(hehe) He can laid down some tasty groove like gadd I'm sure, He can have that Vinnie power, authority, precision if he wants, and He can have that steady groove like JR because he is one of the best drummers in the world PERIOD.

Dave is a workholic...and I don't think he only goes on tour because he can't really "afford to stay home"...I mean it just doesn't sound logical; Oh Yes...you make more money touring of course but I'm sure he can just stay at home teaching at schools or private lessons, playing here and there and he would get around just fine. C'mon...I know plenty of musicians here in LA that only teach and do local gigs and they do just fine!!!

Actually, Dave did lots of session in the past year or so that not a lot of people know about...
Jeff Lorber - Now is the time
Oz Noy - Schizophrenic
Anthony Jackson - Interspirit
Brian Bromberg - It is what it is
Michael Gill - Blues for Lazarus
Bill Evans - Vans Joint
Mike Stern - Big Neighborhood
Chris Briciano - Second Take
Bernie Williams - Moving Forward
Jon Reshard - Jon Reshard
3rd world Electric - Kilimanjaro Secret brew
Christophe Cravero - La Foule
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 am

of course i get it. what's not to get. do steve schaeffer, JR robinson and ralph humphrey get the calls dave does? dude your funny. pointless conversation anyhow. must be the weather.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Again, we all know that in NY he did some sessions. My favorite is the groove with Robert Plant's honeydrippers. My point was the last 15 years or so. Those are mostly jazz/fusion/instrumental artists you listed. Not union type session gigs. Lorber, Bromberg etc, not only hire Dave because of his playing but also because they know they'll sell about 2000 units of their product if Dave is playing drums. You have to remember those recordings are small time on the music scene. Only 1% of the record buying public buys CDs from those artists. I know Dave plays on many releases of that nature.

I don't agree on the income. Sessions pay much more than touring. Kurtis, yes those drummer's do get called to play jazz and fusion gigs on tour. They don't leave home because their session work is more lucrative. As I'm a father too(my girl is 12), I know that if Dave was able to cultivate that session work that you say he choses not to do, i'm pretty sure he would be doing it and staying home with his daughter. Dave was already a member of two of the greatest groups in jazz/fusion, the chick corea electric band and the chick corea acoustic band. You really think he's getting more music out of Mike Stern and Oz Noy? I don't know about that guys. Having said that., I know that name session drummers make up to 5 grand a day in the studio. 3 days a week in the studio pays more than $1000 per day on tour, and I doubt Oz Noy is paying Dave $1000 per day. My point again is, IF this work was available to ANY drummer with a kid, and they didn't want to be an absentee parent, they would take the session work. That comes from being a parent. Anyone else a parent here? Groover don't forget all the educational income Dave has. His videos SELL! You have to realize though, with his kid and failed marriage, mortgage and whatever else he has going on, he probably has a 10grand a month overhead. So I don't think local gigs and teaching would cut that. I'm just speculating. One may say who cares about this shi* this is a drumming forum. I think it's interesting seeing how these guys deal with everyday life. Drumming is a serious passion, and a difficult job. I have so much respect for them.
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

^Some of those assumptions are absolutely absurd and far fetched. Just a few weeks ago I was thinking how great the vibe on HoD has been without Paraflam around. Now it's going downhill again, and fast. Very disappointing.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:I'm just speculating.

Not only that, but you're dead wrong about almost everything. The life of a session musician in this day and age is very different from even two years ago, let alone twenty years. Musicians used to do up to three or four sessions A DAY a decade ago. Those days are GONE man. And the rates are way down now too. What do we expect? Too many people don't want to pay for music anymore. Where is the money going to come from? Touring is the only way for musicians to make money now. And it's the "name" musicians who are getting the crowds into the venues, not the guys no one has ever heard of (when it comes to jazz and/or fusion anyway).

I think it's in bad taste to discuss personal things about people, especially when you do NOT have any of the facts.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Suspiria wrote:^Some of those assumptions are absolutely absurd and far fetched. Just a few weeks ago I was thinking how great the vibe on HoD has been without Paraflam around. Now it's going downhill again, and fast. Very disappointing.

We have a couple ringers on here now that have to have the last word in every discussion, unfortunately. It's a drag.

Or maybe it's the same person, LOL...
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm

I totally agree with you on that. I mainly lurk and find it hard to post any thoughts, opinions, or ideas because of the over abundance of argumentative reactions and those who have to have the "last word". The vibe here on this board is not what it once was and is becoming very dark and questionable. It seems as though opinions and facts just get attacked as soon as they go up. Respect, tact, and professional courtesy are sorely lacking in the back and forth communication and sharing of opinions. Just me?
D.
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 am

kinkymook wrote:I totally agree with you on that. I mainly lurk and find it hard to post any thoughts, opinions, or ideas because of the over abundance of argumentative reactions and those who have to have the "last word". The vibe here on this board is not what it once was and is becoming very dark and questionable. It seems as though opinions and facts just get attacked as soon as they go up. Respect, tact, and professional courtesy are sorely lacking in the back and forth communication and sharing of opinions. Just me?

It's not only you, that's why i stop posting in here, to much negative.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 am

kinkymook wrote:Just me?

not just you.

Return to “Drumming Chat”