LAMA

Gaddabout

Re: LAMA

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Kurtis wrote:
Kurt's doctor must've put him on the GOOD drugs.

bring the insults. what ever. i'm a pessimistic at heart. you see the donut i see the hole in the middle of the donut. i know your just dishing out the usual HOD trash. i love sarcasm and it's cynical overtones.

No insult intended! Was just a silly comment on the big block of text followed by the Steve Holmes quote. It just seemed like a long way to go to make a joke, and I appreciate anyone who goes a long way to tell a joke. ;)

Rule of thumb: The only time I ever get personal is when I'm talking about my own playing. Everything else I say should not be taken seriously.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:32 am

Do I think mi is better than lama? No, it's a money machine, much why guys like Joe and Ralph jumped to help form lama, thus why LAMA has a program similar to MI's, the guys whom created it ar at LAMA now.

The mi I know of died a few years after I graduated when pat hicks sold the school off
I attended MI from 83 to 84, a few years later the school moved from Hollywood Blvd to its present location, then Pat sold the school and in my opinion AND others like key instructors the school went down hill.

Its not just about how big the school is, or performance rooms and studios, its about the hang too. You can have all the latest gear and software, but if the place is 'cold' you'll get nothing from it.
I recently went thru this in looking at video schools for my son, Tribeca was great, Art Institute=cold, Full Sail=cold, Video Symphony in Burbank won, partly cuz it reminded me of my days at MI.

Steve and Kurtis will have a different view being they attended MI after i did
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:20 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:Lots of people go to music schools who don't intend on playing for a living. Its out of a love of the art.

That's not my experience...everyone I went to music school with that I knew had music careers on their mind. It's not like a summer camp or a week-long clinic....usually that type of long-term commitment is coupled with a long-term career goal...this was at UNT, btw...

I would highly suggest that anyone NOT wanting to make a career out of music NOT go deep into debt by paying for a specialized training school just for "a love of the art". (but by all means, if you have the time and money, though, do it...)

I do agree that anyone going to a music school should be prepared financially to "live": food, rent, electric, gas, etc..... I wasn't, and it affected the outcome of my experience. For instance, I was waiting tables to pay rent while everyone else was practicing...
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 am

Randy Walker wrote:Do I think mi is better than lama? No, it's a money machine, much why guys like Joe and Ralph jumped to help form lama, thus why LAMA has a program similar to MI's, the guys whom created it ar at LAMA now.

The mi I know of died a few years after I graduated when pat hicks sold the school off
I attended MI from 83 to 84, a few years later the school moved from Hollywood Blvd to its present location, then Pat sold the school and in my opinion AND others like key instructors the school went down hill.

M.I. has always been located on Hollywood Blvd (McCadden Place more precisely), since long before I was there.

I attended maybe 10 years ago now, but from what I gathered then it was MUCH better then in the early 80's. You must have been one of the first PIT students as the program only started in '83 or so.

It was awesome when I went, I had my own practice room, the teachers were (and are) all monsters.

The comment about money is bullshit though, ALL schools are a business, they make money. LAMA, Berklee, MI, etc etc They don't receive grant money like a State University does (which I also went to). Being a private school, they all have to turn a profit.
To me, the price was WELL worth the experience. The immersion is unreal deep.

The class size when I was there was an average of 6 students, only 12 graduated through level 3 - impressively down from over 100+ at the beginning of the program. A 90% drop out rate is not because they school is trying to make money, it's because they push the students VERY hard.
I believe I had between 16-20 classes a week during a given quarter. Not including the live playing requirements. A good 6+ hours of homework to go with the classes. Plus you know, wanting to shed hard on the really fun stuff. Connecting with other students (like recording students) for projects, etc

Though, as I mentioned, anyone wanting to go MI or LAMA should check both out, they both do open houses and so forth. I checked out Berklee, UNT, LAMA and MI and decided on M.I. A lot of it was the location, you're smack in the middle of it all and the facilities are incredible.

rpc - Unfortunately either school (or any of the kind) is going to cost you a lot, figure $30,000+ in tuition and materials all said and done. Additionally, you can't work a job while attending, so you can figure your cost of living in addition to school costs. There are grants, scholarships and student loans you can make use of.
However if you're saying don't even have your own drum set, I would work on that issue first. It really wouldn't be worth the time/money at least until you have spent a great deal of time shedding on a kit, otherwise you'll be just paying for the same stuff you can learn out of books with the guidance of a good private instructor (though at a far accelerated pace).

IMO I would work on getting yourself a drumset (even the mid level ones now are killing for the prices), a good private and see if you can spend an hour a day shedding, or more.

cjbdrm - When I was at MI we had several students who were older, who had saved up and came to the school just out of love of drumming, granted most only did 6 months at a time, but they were there. A fireman, lawyer, etc In addition to people who go and just realize they'd rather be really good at drums, and work a normal job that pays more (consistently).
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 am

No, the original location of the school was on Hollywood blvd next to the wax museum, get your facts straight.
Original student? PiT was in it's 3rd year when I started, new classes started in march or sept
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am

I am beginning to wonder about this thread. The OP self-admittedly is extremely poor and doesn't own a drumset? There are much bigger issues going on here that have nothing to do with music or music schools, IMO...
rpc

Postby rpc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 am

cjbdrm wrote:I am beginning to wonder about this thread. The OP self-admittedly is extremely poor and doesn't own a drumset? There are much bigger issues going on here that have nothing to do with music or music schools, IMO...

It was naive of me to come here looking for help.

Best wishes to each of you.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am

Randy Walker wrote:No, the original location of the school was on Hollywood blvd next to the wax museum, get your facts straight.
Original student? PiT was in it's 3rd year when I started, new classes started in march or sept

It was actually ABOVE the wax museum. Non the less, you were in it's 3rd year of school and said it was already dead. That alone is an absurd statement.
The school has always been on HW Blvd, it may have moved down 4 doors from the wax museum, but it's still there today. With a MUCH larger presence as well.

By the way it's interesting to see the history of M.I. http://www.mi.edu/aboutmi/history

The guys at LAMA had NOTHING to do with founding the school. And only a partial hand in PIT.

rpc - You can always look into regular universities, there are many with exceptional music programs and the cost is significantly less.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:The guys at LAMA had NOTHING to do with founding the school. And only a partial hand in PIT.

It was my understanding PIT was still using (more or less) the original first-year manuscript Joe Porcaro had written. Not true?
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am

Yamahaplayer, or mr troll, go back to the treehouse with the other keebler elves

Return to “Drumming Chat”