LAMA

rpc

LAMA

Postby rpc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 am

Can anyone offer any insight on LAMA? As silly as it may be, I'm thinking I'd like to go to music school to develop my playing, even though I'm pretty sure that I don't want to play music for a living. (I'm passionate about drumming, but have a somewhat pessimistic impression of the music industry). I also think that it would probably be an incredible experience; one that a guy might not mind spending 16 grand to have, since I'll probably always play, professionally or not.

Skill-wise, I'd say I'm better than average, but not great. Not a huge jazz fan, but like it well enough. Tendencies toward funk and Afro-Cuban, of all things. Worked on a cruise ship and wouldn't mind doing it again, being even better at it. REAL impressed by Ralph Humphreys' playing.

Looking for feedback.
YamahaPlayer

Re: LAMA

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 am

Lots of people go to music schools who don't intend on playing for a living. Its out of a love of the art.

If you're looking at the LA area, I would highly recommend Musician's Institute over LAMA. The faculty and facilities are astounding, as a whole M.I. is just leagues beyond what LAMA offers. Particularly given you're interacting with other students of other instruments, recording students, etc

Of course visit both, for the amount of money either school costs you should put some serious investigating into them. Check out The Collective, Berklee, UNT, etc as well.

One other thing to keep in mind, with any school of such kind you may choose. You'll need enough money to live on while attending, you absolutely can not work and go to school.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 am

MI is better than LAMA? really? um, ok there cowboy
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 am

Randy Walker wrote:MI is better than LAMA? really? um, ok there cowboy

MI (present day) is not better than LAMA by any means. Why do you think the guys that originally started MI left it behind them when it got bought a while back and started up LAMA?

MI is the Guitar Center of music schools.

I'm a graduate of LAMA... when I have a minute (and I'm not at work) I'll share some more insight.
Got Blushda?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 am

Randy Walker wrote: um, ok there cowboy

This reads like you're being a jerk without provocation FYI.

Anyways Willy was at MI within the last 5 years or so right? I imagine these schools change a bit year to year. I personally had a great experience at MI but that was 93. However, the guy that taught me the most is still there. Gary Garbitini. I know he lurks here too. GARY SIGN UP FOR THE FORUMS ALREADY DAMMIT.
:|
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

GG BONE (gary garbitini) is the man! i learned a ton from gary also. just hanging around him you pick up stuff. he has 15 or so years on me. i looked up to that guy. great player also. i got the most out of gary, toss, ralph and efrain. i would choose the school with the best teachers. save your pennies.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am

Steve Holmes wrote:
Randy Walker wrote: um, ok there cowboy

This reads like you're being a jerk without provocation FYI.

Anyways Willy was at MI within the last 5 years or so right? I imagine these schools change a bit year to year.

Um, ok there, cowboy!

I went to LAMA, Steve, not MI. :mrgreen:
Got Blushda?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

willyz wrote:
Randy Walker wrote:MI is better than LAMA? really? um, ok there cowboy

MI (present day) is not better than LAMA by any means. Why do you think the guys that originally started MI left it behind them when it got bought a while back and started up LAMA?

MI is the Guitar Center of music schools.

I'm a graduate of LAMA... when I have a minute (and I'm not at work) I'll share some more insight.

Because it was a money thing. Why does LAMA use (or did) M.I. curriculum then? You may have a difference of opinion, but to just flat out throw insults against the school is laughable. Bring an argument to the table, not insults.

I'm a graduate of M.I., though a few years ago. I'm know the school is bigger now.

However when you line up the facilities par for par against LAMA, there's no comparison. The studio's, the live venue's, the interaction with other musicians, the constant live playing, walking distance to so many clubs, etc

When you list the faculty side by side, it really pails. Just the sheer number of teachers that are monsters. Not to mention the number of high end pro's they bring in for very personal clinic's. (See the video of Gavin just posted here).

Bone is astounding, that man changed my playing and many others. There are many amazing players/teachers at M.I., Rob Carson, Chuck Silverman, Gary Hess, Tim Peterson, Jeff Bowders, etc

Like I said previously, anyone wanting to go to any school on that level would need to do some serious research into the subject. Visit them, sit in on the class's and see if it works for you.

The money is huge, you could really just get a lockout and get 2 or 3 private instructors and just shed for a year and would be cheaper.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Really steve? Kewl, oh damn, I spelled kewl wrong.

Done
rpc

Postby rpc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm having a tough time interpreting the responses so far; sounds like there are differing opinions on which is the better school. I'll wait for more responses.

Can anyone comment on the money issue? I am an extremely poor person; like to the point of not owning a drum set because I can't afford one. Would either school be more friendly to someone in my situation?

Return to “Drumming Chat”