LAMA

Old Pit Guy

Re: LAMA

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 am

rpc wrote:I'm having a tough time interpreting the responses so far; sounds like there are differing opinions on which is the better school. I'll wait for more responses.

Can anyone comment on the money issue? I am an extremely poor person; like to the point of not owning a drum set because I can't afford one. Would either school be more friendly to someone in my situation?

Better school aside, money will be an issue. I had support (GF) when I attended MIT, and we landed there with 5k between us (mid 80s). Tuition to PIT for one year back then was 4k, and I paid it in full from savings upon arrival. And I still remember Jill. Anyway ...
Contact the school(s) and investigate your options (Pell Grants, etc). Also, as mentioned, working for expenses and either school full-time is totally counter-productive. You likely won't enjoy it and I doubt you'll make it unless you can function on very little sleep.
I sincerely hope everyone who's been able to attend any program for a year or longer appreciates just how fortunate they are.

To shed with instructors or school ... Tangent Alert! Both offer advantages, but the school route is more than the sum of its parts. If you happen to be an agreeable guy who fits in well and makes friends easily, you'll have an amazing experience. What you ultimately come away with from a music school where playing and interacting with others is as important as the curriculum - in my experience and opinion - is inversely proportional to how introverted you are. What you gain in player's confidence from either of these schools is going to outweigh what two or three instructors can impart one on one in a room. Nothing at all wrong with the latter, not a thing. But PIT was intense once you waded in.

I saw a lot of guys while I worked at PIT who were wall flowers, and they just didn't grow like the guys who went in with both feet. So that's something to consider with either school. It's easy to become intimidated in a musical environment where it appears as if every other guy is a monster; you have to be grounded, or get grounded fast, because the months pass and you're behind the curve in no time.

Just thought I'd toss this angle out there because it's one I don't hear addressed often enough. Gary (at MIT) is an asset, if Gary's still the Gary I knew. And I'd wager he is.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I think the first thing you need to figure out is, what is your goal? Do you want to become a great reader, master playing several styles9rock, jazz, afro-cuban, etc.)? If not, do you just want a firm grasp of the foundations, good time, musicality, feel, groove, etc.?

These schools(any school for that matter) are not cheap and if you aren't prepared can chew you up and spit you out.......not to mention living in Hollywood if you've never been exposed to something like that. If you aren't playing/reading at a fairly competent level, you aren't ready for a music school. That's like someone who has never driven a car taking the Bob Bondurant school of high performance driving. At best, you won't get anything out of it and waste a lot of money. At worst, you'll scare the crap out of yourself and maybe be discouraged beyond repair.

If I were you, I would take it in steps. Get to a place where you can afford a kit and some lessons with a good teacher. Once your fundamentals are strong, then maybe pursue a school of music and see where that takes you.

Another option(if you can read and have strong fundamentals) is the Military. I went through the Navy School of Music in 1976. I was kind of the top gun in my High School in the mid-west, but met guys from New York, Philly, etc. that showed me things I'd not seen before. My education went even further once I got out in the field and played and played and played.....sight reading charts, playing just about every style you can think of. When I got out I was prepared for just about anything, and was always able to land a gig of some kind.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:11 pm

deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 am

it's cool that they offer this, but why don't they jump 10 yrs into the future already and offer webcam lessons.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:49 am

Because of this "Now you can learn the Berklee method to drums—online, from anywhere in the world!"

They are teaching their specific method, which is used in the school/their books. It seems like basically they made videos lessons of their books.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 am

ummm, did you cowboys get any movie star autographs?

Thanks all for my Sat night entertainment...comedy writing at its best.
Take note Ricky Gervais!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”