Ali Jackson thread

Tom Reschke

Re: Ali Jackson thread

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Whoops, I messed up and deleted my post. Do want to say that I agree with Rodge that it’s disrespectful but that by him saying those things, we all watched his video. Which means more views and maybe $ for him. So…
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Tom Reschke wrote:Whoops, I messed up and deleted my post. Do want to say that I agree with Rodge that it’s disrespectful but that by him saying those things, we all watched his video. Which means more views and maybe $ for him. So…

We got used! LOL.
There is nothing left to say.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Well, the arrogant twat got the honor of my first thumb ever.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Agreed, it sounds like he's done this out of spite.

Who is he to arrogantly condemn IN PUBLIC the artistic choice of another colleague? Vinnie is Vinnie, he's unique. They hired him knowing who he is. This a*hole's got an axe to grind it seems.

You don't need balls to do what he he did, knowing drummers don't hire each other. He sure kisses the other two's ass. And not one positive comment on Vinnie's performance? That says it all right there...

He's got an overweight of arrogance by saying they should have asked "him" to produce the record.
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:55 am

This is pretty much what I got out of his video: "Hey, I'm a drummer that nobody (particularly on this forum) has ever even bothered to mention as an inspiration ridiculing probably the greatest drummer ever. That's how I'll get people to know who I am. Plus, I can use Vinnie's name to make me some money in the process if enough people watch my video. Of course, the only reason that they would ever watch it is because it's about Vinnie." What a loser.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:44 am

Noticed and chosen to ignore forever.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:12 pm

This mf can play no joke !!!

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:28 pm

Rodge wrote:This mf can play no joke !!!
That's why it's even a bigger shame that he felt the need to be disrespectful towards Vinnie.
When in doubt...roll.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 am

About all I can reasonably take from this is that people being people begets people being people.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:18 pm

LOL at "I think if you put it on in the background when the neighbors came over for dinner no one would object to it."

It's Ok to not like things. He presents his opinion in a respectable context, which is super important.

I actually agree with the overall point of playing simple swinging time FIRST, establish the intention FIRST, then introducing some more notes works better because there's now context for the extra notes. It's has a starting place and progresses.

The bigger you become as a musician, the less folks will call you out. It has to be OK to criticize when done respectfully.

It's possible they did several takes of these tunes and maybe VInnie played simpler on one and the leader preferred the busier stuff. We don't know. I asked Mark Isham myself at the Baked Potato PASADENA on a gig with John and Vinnie mid-late 90's. I asked about swing and how busy playing affects it. He told me he hired Vinnie because he wanted Vinnie's playing.
Can't argue with that.

Also the better one gets at their craft, the more ability to see the positives AND negatives in a performance. Rodge you're at the level where you see it all I think. Surely there's recordings of Vinnie that you may not dig? For me it's most of his swing stuff actually. You're going to tell me the Waldman stuff SWINGS? You don't make the same faces when listening to the Waldman stuff as when you list to TAIN swinging! :o

Return to “Drumming Chat”