21" K Custom Special Dry Ride

Rudy_Ment

21" K Custom Special Dry Ride

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:25 am

I don't generally like to post gear topics here but given this a jazz oriented drum forum, anyone here have this ride and ever use it on pop and rock gigs? Had mine for years, still love the sound but never really gigged it much as it doesn't project and I rarely do jazz gigs. Loathe to sell it as it sounds so gorgeous but seems pointless keeping it. The ones I do use all the time is the K Dry Light ride like Steve has, been using that since 2004. It's always felt like the ride for me, it's so warm. And an old K Custom Dry like Weckl used back in the day. I always set both those up at gigs, next to each other. Dry Light projects a little more than the Special Dry with nice crashiness and the Custom Dry has better ping definition. Neither really ideal though I suppose for pop/rock but I've never particularly liked anything other than dark sounding rides.

That's the problem with loving jazz and fusion music and jazz rides but mostly playing rock gigs. We collect great rides that don't really suit what we play! :D
No drums no life, know drums know life...
bored at work

Re: 21" K Custom Special Dry Ride

Postby bored at work » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 am

Is it this one?
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm

bored at work wrote:Is it this one?

Don't think so, doesn't look like it to me.

Edit: On second thoughts, it might be. Interesting if it is given the volume of the music he's playing. I'm wondering if it's the same ride he used with Tom Scott on the Gadd tribute, so I'm going to check that now.

Edit: Yeah, it's the same one with Tom Scott on Nite Sprite and it is the Special Dry Ride. Well spotted, bored at work.
I always liked that ride he played with Tom Scott and never realised it's the one I have.

And can you believe it's 20 since Vinnie played that Gadd tribute show. Where did the time go!
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:50 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:
bored at work wrote:Is it this one?

Don't think so, doesn't look like it to me.

Edit: On second thoughts, it might be. Interesting if it is given the volume of the music he's playing. I'm wondering if it's the same ride he used with Tom Scott on the Gadd tribute, so I'm going to check that now.

Edit: Yeah, it's the same one with Tom Scott on Nite Sprite and it is the Special Dry Ride. Well spotted, bored at work.
I always liked that ride he played with Tom Scott and never realised it's the one I have.

And can you believe it's 20 since Vinnie played that Gadd tribute show. Where did the time go!

Ive got that ride cymbal, its great. I think Steve Holmes has it too!
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:08 pm

I had one back in the day and it was closer to an older K Custom Dry than a dry light ride, I searched for years for a thinner variant.

Month or two ago I found a light version that has the "golf ball" hammering and a nice balance of wash and dryness.

I can't embed the link, site on my end won't allow that function to work.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm

My goto is the 20" K Custom Dry Light. No "Special".
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri May 05, 2023 1:08 pm

The Special variant does sound sweet though!
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon May 08, 2023 5:40 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:The Special variant does sound sweet though!

I've been gigging the Special all this week Steve and I've found it's working nicely for me now. Love the low roar, and the bell is amazing! Just recently bought a new pair of regular K hats and an 18 K dark thin and I'm loving those too! Oh and a new Ludwig 400 which is killer and my go to snare.

Return to “Drumming Chat”