Colaiuta--JOE'S GARAGE-New Transcription / Play alongs

langmick

Re: Colaiuta--JOE'S GARAGE-New Transcription / Play alongs

Postby langmick » Thu May 02, 2024 4:34 pm

Just checking on this, really interested in purchasing it.

I had quite the experience playing in that Zappa trio. Had one meeting to "audition", one rehearsal that went ooooookayyyyy...then a week before the first of two gigs the bass player sends out an email saying he's suffering from psychotic episodes and they are getting worsute. He also apparently send a nasty longer email to the guitarist who's been organizing the band saying he's a jerk, dick, taskmaster, asshole etc....

The guitarist knows a bassist out of Cleveland named Haggis. He's played with him before. We're doing Echidna's Arf, Catholic Girls, 555 and Filth Habits which are all not the most complex but take a little sorting out. I finally figured out what that breakdown section in CG is. That Vinnie ripped through that so creatively and effortlessly at such a young age blows my mind. Joe Travers is also an amazing player. I slobbed my way through 555, we were not as tight as it should be, but gotta live with that. Echidna's went pretty ok. Lots of 5s.

So I drive to Sandusky from Michigan in a blinding blizzard, which turns to pouring rain, and meet Haggis before the gig and play. It wasn't that bad, save for 7 people being there. Made $100, spent probably $200.

Drive to Cincy the next day, play in a quirky little bar that has Dead tributes and eclectic bands. Make $100, spend $200. No green room, guy running sound shows up half hour before the show, doesnt know how to run an X32 and spends the first set spazzing out running around trying to fix it...played until 1ish...not a fan of that. Give me 90 minutes and one set break. But, that's not how this dude rolls...

That show was much better, the bass player named Haggis killed the shit out of the music and was a great hang.

More shows are booked....guitarist has a stroke...shows are cancelled.

He somehow isn't really affected all that much, and is now playing again.

So that was quite the experience.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 pm

555 is no joke!
That whole thing sounds like quite the music zappa adventure.
Dweezil is rehearsing a new band for an upcoming tour.
Mike Kenaelly is still doing his thing. I've been really digging his Guitar Therapy Live..."Voyage to Manhood" in particular. SOme cool odd meter shuffle stuff in there and Travers grooves though it all you don't even realize there's odd meter bars peppered throughout.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat May 04, 2024 6:54 am

Yeah Joe is a monster, really impressed with his playing, complex but not all over the place. Sneaks some cool shit in there. His time feel is solid.

More to this story...I find out through FB that the guitarist has booked a show where I live, but without me.

To be fair, I did mention to the drummer that he should reach out to him. So I'm half a little pissed, half IDGAF it is what it is and on to the next thing. The drummer is a professional musician so I get it, and I knew that this is something that the guitarist would do, he's out there and has run through many musicians. I don't know if he consciously knows he does this or is just a clueless delusional fuckhead. A little of both.

But, pretty much a dick move without telling me. I signed up for the weirdness going in...Music is the best.

Return to “Drumming Chat”