Building Vocabulary- time frame?

drumsrdrugs

Building Vocabulary- time frame?

Postby drumsrdrugs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:31 am

I'm curious to know how long it generally takes people to add vocabulary to their playing. I've been running into a problem where I feel comfortable with a certain lick/chop in my shed, but on the gig I don't feel comfortable playing it. I feel like it takes me months to put something into my performing vocabulary..... And I'm not talking about a really difficult chop.

Any suggestions for performance retention (sounds like an add for some new pharma drug!) lol.
Gaddabout

Re: Building Vocabulary- time frame?

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 am

As someone who has a relatively small vocabulary compared to the players on this board, it all really depends on what it is I'm trying to learn and how I'm trying to apply it. I have a few standard samba/mambo ride patterns I rely on, for example. Sometimes I hear something else I think is really cool but it's almost unlearnable for me because the code in my brain for that kind of music is so hard-wired at this point. It's why I plead with young drummers to learn as much as they can when they're young -- it's so hard to learn new things on the drums when you get to a certain age.

Repetition works differently for different people, too. I find after a certain amount of repetition, at some point I have to stop, breathe, relax, and just play it and not think about it -- trust my muscles. I try to make it music rather than a lick. It's like my brain engages a different area and it's not so hard anymore. But I also know singing it away from the kit sometimes accelerates the process. Again, really depends on the lick and how far beyond my comfort zone it is.

The reality is this stuff just comes harder for some of us than others, and the time it takes to develop a vocabulary is going to vary for everyone. But getting there is the same process: Sweat. I'm probably one of those guys that's just not a natural at drumming, but I don't think about that stuff when I'm behind the kit. I've been told I'm too old to learn the challenging stuff, that I should just go and have fun playing what I know. I'm too stubborn to buy into that. LOL I'm just trusting the process and working on patience to believe that I'll get there when I get there. ;)
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 am

put that lick on paper so you know where it lies in the subdivision, that way when ever you go into your new lick you know your going to make it out safe

good luck
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 am

Gaddabout wrote: It's why I plead with young drummers to learn as much as they can when they're young -- it's so hard to learn new things on the drums when you get to a certain age.

Gaddabout, as a drumteacher i agree 100%
I remember stuff that i learned when i was abaut 30 years old that took me some time...
My students gets the same down stuff in 5 minutes.
Today i have to book a half a day to learn a gospell lick :)

Life is hard....
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:33 am

Exactly Gaddabout. Nowadays as I get older(in my forties now...*sigh*) it takes weeks, months, even years to fully realize a lick/beat/concept/etc. Seems to me that you really have to take those new things to a live situation to fully learn them. I usually think I have mastered some stuff when I just play them in the shed myself for a while. Then I apply it on a gig and fail miserably. After a while it gets easier though and you can really start to make music with maybe one more "tool".
My advice would be to practise your ass off while still young!
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:49 am

A good habit to get into is mentally rehearsing stuff in your head when you're away from the kit. I do this last thing at night, instead of counting sheep. Things sink in really quickly that way (and I need all the help I can get because I'm in my 40s too!)
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 am

I find there's a 3 day process for internalizing the motion of a new idea, to where I can execute it as it as a word without really thinking about it.

The key for me is learning a phrase across different subdivisions and practicing weaving between the "versions" of it: 8th note triplet, 16th note, 16th note triplet, and 32nd note are usually a good starting place.

It's usually a period of months before I'm comfortable enough with something to bring it out on the bandstand.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 am

Gad's right on...Unfortunately I don't read...at least while playing. I can slowly work things out on paper if it is written...I have been working on Tommy Igoe"s Groove Essentials for a long time. That DVD kicks my ass...especially in the "World" and "Jazz" sections....he is so damn good. In his words "It's not a race"...The older I get the tougher it is to learn for sure. Alot of it has to do with distractions that dilute my shedding...
Last edited by sjj123 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 am

In my band's situation of playing older cover tunes that we like to mold into our own versions....the more I try to "drum it up", the more I realize I should just play the song and pay attention to the groove. I have a hard time playing like a "drummer's drummer"...mainly 'cause I have no chops. I am gonna be 53 next month, so concentrating on "the song" is my main focus....but man, do I wish I could solo over a section like some of you!

You guys may get sick of this...but since I bought this Zoom Q3 HD...it is even more clear to just support the others. For example, I felt like accenting more during some of the guitar solo here, to spice-up the tune a bit from Cray's original starting at 1:50...but I don't like it...I should just groove the tune all the way thru...and my ending flail sucked with a crappy attempt at making a blushda fit and not playing a phrase that really fit.
This Zoom Q3 HD does a great job...view in 720p to get the best sound...
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 am

drumsrdrugs wrote:I'm curious to know how long it generally takes people to add vocabulary to their playing. I've been running into a problem where I feel comfortable with a certain lick/chop in my shed, but on the gig I don't feel comfortable playing it. I feel like it takes me months to put something into my performing vocabulary..... And I'm not talking about a really difficult chop.

Any suggestions for performance retention (sounds like an add for some new pharma drug!) lol.

You have to practice your musical vocabulary in context. Just like a learning a new vocabulary word- use it in a sentence/musical statement to really learn it/internalize it.

I suggest playing along to some music and finding a way to incorporate the lick/fill/chop in context. Sometimes you won't find one- and that's normal- because some have no place other than a drum solo!

As far as learning new things and getting older- in my experience, sure it may be a little slower, but I suspect it has less to do with ability/age and more to do with other factors like life, time, responsibilities, ambition, and most of all, habit. But I'm happy to report that I've broken through a few plateaus in my late 30's and 40's... 8-)
Last edited by cjbdrm on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”