Army Music

rpc

Army Music

Postby rpc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 am

Is anyone on here familiar with the Army's music program? I've read a few articles online about it, but I'm curious to hear from drummers, specifically.

Do they get to play any of the "cool stuff," or is it mostly routine material for ceremonies and such? (I'm not opposed to that; I'm just wondering if there's more to the job). Do 42R's get promoted more often, less often or about the same as combat arms MOS's? Is day-to-day life different than other MOS's? (I was a 68W; AIT wasn't TOO much different from basic). Any other information to consider? Are duty stations the same as other MOS's? Hawaii? Germany? Fort Sam in San Antonio? Or do only certain posts have bands? Duties while in garrison? (Motor pool, etc.?) Deployed?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Gaddabout

Re: Army Music

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Can't say, but when I was 18, after an audition with a Marine musician recruiter, I was told I would be a candidate for "The President's Own," which he regarded as the highest honor as a military musician.

"But," he said, "you would be a Marine first."

And that was enough to talk me out of it. Less than two years later we were knee deep in Gulf War I where I certainly would have been deployed -- with a gun and no drum sticks. I consider my decision a sane one.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:42 pm

You will play mostly funerals and graduation ceremonies. Not sure what you mean by "cool stuff". Lots of cadences and ceremonious music.

They do not teach you how to play drums or music. You need to be good going in and pass several tests, auditions and even STILL - if they are full, guess what? You're doing something else, whatever they tell you.

I would not recommend joining the military in the hopes of getting into the music program.

While there are jazz bands and other more interesting musical opportunities - such as the presidents band. Understand the following, all the positions are currently filled, there is only an open slot when someone leaves and there are people ahead of you.
It is highly based on how much time you've put in, rank and so forth to get the sweet jobs.

You must understand once you sign on the dotted line, particularly with the Marines. Your ass is theirs.
rpc

Postby rpc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Marines are beasts, but I'm looking at going back in to the Army, specifically.

Anyone here been in or close to the band?

Again, thanks in advance.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Get in touch with Andy Vermiglio. He played in the Navy and taught drums for the Armed Forces School of Music. My guess is that he would be able to answer any and all your questions with first-hand experience.

http://www.andythedrummer.com/
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I served in the Navy as a musician and, as DSOP mentioned, a drum instructor at the Armed Forces School of Music. I taught Marine, Army and Navy drummers. My primary teaching gig was drum set instruction. Billy Cobham attended this school as well as Hilary Jones and a bunch of other great players. Jim Haler (now wth Yamaha) another Navy drummer, was my replacement when I left the Navy Band in San Francisco. (He has some great stories about hanging out with Zappa's band when Vinnie was in it...)

When I attended the school as a basic student we went through the first two years of the Berklee School of Music ear training and music theory courses in 6 months. We also had private lessons, concert band, marching band, jazz band, rock band and percussion ensemble classes. When I was on active duty, generally there was more kit playing in the Navy than the Army or the Marines.

After 8 years in the Navy I served in the Army Reserves as a percussionist (O2M). We played marching, ceremonial, jazz band, and small group combo gigs. During the summers, we would train and perform with active duty Army Bands and they covered a wide variety of gigs many of which included jazz combos and rock bands.

A lot of times there is the opportunity to pick and choose the type of music that you want to play. I heard a Navy fusion band that was just amazing. There have also been country and rap groups in the military. Between the Navy and Army Reserves I served 20 years as a military musician. It's not for everyone, but it is one of the few gigs where you can have a 20 to 30 year career as a musician with medical, dental, optometry benefits, sick days, vacation pay, education benefits and retirement. You can also do a lot of traveling, there are military bands stationed throughout the US, Asia and Europe.

And Gaddabout, when I was on active duty, the Marine band in DC didn't go through basic training, they just played. (This didn't make the other Marines too happy...they used to call the Marines in the DC band "civilians")
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Andy Vermiglio wrote:And Gaddabout, when I was on active duty, the Marine band in DC didn't go through basic training, they just played. (This didn't make the other Marines too happy...they used to call the Marines in the DC band "civilians")

This was '88 when I was being recruited and spent a lot of time at that recruiting office. The primary recruiters were true roughneck good guys but they didn't have a clue about the music program, so I don't know if what I was being told was the truth. But most of what they said was confirmed by the adjudicator, who was the most drop-dead serious man I'd ever met. He actually got upset with me because I was sight reading his chart faster than he could keep up -- thought I was intentionally showing him up, and suggested I had an attitude problem. He did, however, she me his grade sheet, which made me comfortable he wasn't doing a bait-and-switch just to get me to join the Marines.

They all told me I would have to go basic training before I got my assignment, which I was fine with. But I was given the strong impression that in a time of war there was no such thing as a musician, and that every Marine was on ready for charging the front when the time came. I passed up several college scholarship opportunities, so risk wasn't exactly my game when I was that age.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 am

That's pretty cool Andy!

"But I was given the strong impression that in a time of war there was no such thing as a musician, and that every Marine was on ready for charging the front when the time came."

That's my understanding as well. Once your in, you do what they WANT you to. Shooting being a much higher priority then playing music. Considering we are currently at active war...
rpc

Postby rpc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:05 am

You stand a greater chance of dying from driving your car than the American soldier does from dying in Iraq or Afghanistan.

And the chances of a bandsperson ever actually going outside the wire are extremely slim.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

I might have an accurate answer here for you.

I was fortunate enough to play Jazz in a big band for my
3 years in Pershing's Own, The U.S. Army Blues.

What a great experience !!

Since I was born and raised in Wash DC, I was able to live at home during my whole time in the Army. I was able to save quite a lot of $, since you are paid to live off base.

--Gaddabout--- correction.
When one joins the U.S. Marine Band, one is NOT a Marine. They are a bandsman. Yes, they have to complete basic training (8 weeks), but after that they are a memeber of the President's Own, not a Marine.

There are Post Bands all over the world in any US Military outfit (Army, Navy, Marines & Air Force)

I was lucky enough to take the audition, get my written guarantee that after B.T. I would be assigned to Pershing's Own, Arlington, VA, (Wash DC metropolitian area).

Only the Military Bands in Wash get this special duty.....In reality, we might have practiced 3 x / week, and played out (in Wash, MD and DC) maybe 1 - 4 x / week.....GREAT , EASY DUTY. There were also duty combos to play for the higher up brass. But, again, your playing tunes, even though politely...beats carrying a gun.

My time spent in the US Army Blues was during the Viet Nam era and I have some buddies who just got out after 35 years making a great career playing jazz. In addition to working around the DC area, there were the occasional trips to Hawaii, Disney World and very special appearances.

STEVE GADD was in at the same time, but he was stationed nearby at Ft Meade...I HAVE MANY GREAT STORIES OF STEVE GADD'S TIME IN THE FT MEADE STAGE ORCHESTRA.

In fact, the year before I joined the Army Blues, I would go to hear GADD play with the band (now callled the Ft Meade Army Field Band) at local high schools playing the current stuff of the day....the Buddy Rich book---Big Swing Face, etc--1968)

So, it was a great experience playing jazz with such accomplished players (during my time, there were cats who played for the old Big Bands-Miller, Goodman, Herman, etc). I did not deserve to be there.

Also, all these notable service bands really accelerate your rank. Now, immediately after completing boot camp, you get pushed up from E1 (private) to E6 (staff sgt). Drill instructors would seriously harm you knowing that you would be promoted after 8 weeks to E6 after they spent 20 yrs of real Army duty to maybe get to E5 !!!!

If there is a way to be informed of auditions, then be ready and take them. Who knows. You might be able to make a career in a service band.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Drumming Chat”